CoCoview Report Jan 3 thru Jan 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just arrived back from my first trip to CCV. I'll try to be brief.

The operation is as smooth and well run as any I have ever been to. Easily a 10/10. Liz, Patty, Tim, Doc and ALL of the staff run this place like a well oiled clock. Food was excellent; I'm a vegetarian and they went out of their way to make special dishes for me. My two other "normal" buddies loved the food. Accommodations are perfectly adequate and more than comfortable. The whole place has a laid back feel and after only a day, I felt like I had made friends with everyone. The key thing is that the staff are so smiley and friendly, you cannot help but have a good time.

Orientation was simple and fun. Once you're done, you can dive your brains out. I did 28 dives in 5 days and I never dived on Friday. I never dropped below 70 ft. And that was Mary's Place because you HAD to! All the action is at 1ft to 25ft. We saw eight seahorses including two intertwined on one dive. I watched a Lizard Fish gobble up a damsel. And got the picture. I brought a SubSea magnifier (highly recommended) and saw more macro than any other place I have visited. It was incredible! The corals are healthy with hardly any sign of bleaching; The fish life is vibrant. (Damn those pesky sharp-nosed puffers).

Depending on the day, we dived at 5:30am; 7am; two morning dives; two afternoon dives and a night dive. Up to six dives a day. (Hooray for nitrox). The diving is so easy, it's scary. The DMs were fun and very friendly. We had Eddie and Osman with Jorge the pilot. I took the photography course with Tim - he opened the store at 6am to work with me so that I did not miss any dives! He is excellent - another recommendation.

On Friday, we did the island tour. Also a must do for first timers. The botanical garden is amazing. I spent many hours chatting to Doc Radawski. He is a font of information and a great resource to anyone wanting to learn about Roatan and diving. His lecture on Monday should not be missed.

I have dived at many resorts all over the world and I will heartily recommend CCV to anyone wanting a laid back relaxing dive vacation where you have nothing to worry about except getting back in the water for your next dive!

We will be booking our next trip back to CCV this week for later this year. This was the first time that I felt sad about leaving a resort because of the people and not only the diving. I'll post some pictures later in the week.

Tri

Last edited:
First off... where are the pictures?
Secondly.. what was the water temp? I am going down this week and curious.

Bruce

First off... where are the pictures?
Secondly.. what was the water temp? I am going down this week and curious.

Bruce

Pictures later...go check robint 's post for pictures if you want them now.

Water was 79F to 80F. No thermocline. Most people wore 3mm full. I. (and many others), wore a shorty and was comfortable. Bugs were minimal to non-existent.

Sweet! That makes me homesick hearing about diving the way it can and should be done at CoCoView. I hear about people going to Roatan and doing 15 dives and I think "what a waste of time."

This is why I just keep going back.

Later, Hawk.

Tri,

Thanks for the report. What did you all do on the island tour? My wife and I are going to CCV for dive camp 2009 and are looking for some things to do that she'll enjoy.

How much was the photo class and did you find it worth it? I'm looking at doing that as well as the shark dive! It'll be our first trip to Roatan.

What did you all do on the island tour?
How much was the photo class and did you find it worth it? I'm looking at doing that as well as the shark dive! It'll be our first trip to Roatan.

Island tour: First stop for a elevated view of the South Side; Then off to the iguana farm; Then Carambola Gardens - WOW! Then an hour in the West End buying crap but I had a great coffee on the main drag. Honduran coffee is great. Doesn't sound like much but the tour is fun and a great way to see the island and offgas.

Photo class was $50 for an hour with Tim. He is excellent and I learned a lot.

Shark dive is supposed to be fun too. But I preferred to dive dive dive on CCV.

Sweet! That makes me homesick hearing about diving the way it can and should be done at CoCoView. I hear about people going to Roatan and doing 15 dives and I think "what a waste of time."

This is why I just keep going back.

Later, Hawk.

We did 4 dives on Sunday including the orientation; 6 on Monday and 6 on Tuesday. That's 16 in less than 3 days. As you know, this is the easiest dive experience ever. We would get back from the morning dive to find two nitrox tanks waiting for us under our lockers. No dragging your gear anywhere - it's right next to the boat. Robert (the tankmeister) was so friendly and helpful. It's hard to imagine that we'll be diving anywhere else in the Mar Carib in the next few years...

On your tour day also consider the butterfly farm. It is not far from the Iguana ranch, both of which are minutes away from Cocoview and fantasy island. They help birds at the butterfly farm, toucans, various parrots - all very cool. It is like a bird hospital and the guide there is very knowledgeble. It's about $5.00 for the butterfly farm and bird place. I talked to the employees and one of their brothers took us on the "tour". The Iguana ranch is pretty fun. They have scads of the big guys all over. Then you walk down to the ocean and they have some pens with lobster, and some large fish. These are not little pens, they are 50 feet across. Anyway they are very interesting. Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom