What's your preference for taking notes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavew0man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Little survey here. When I started out, I had a doodad (that's a technical term) that you strap on your arm that has a continuous roll of reusable paper with a pencil bungeed to it. I didn't really like it, probably mainly because the pencil was always popping off the bungee, and well, at that point in time I was so busy multitasking on the actual diving part of the dive that everything was kind of distracting. Also with cold fingers, manipulating the roller controls was really awkward. Anyhow, I gave it to a friend who quite likes it.

So then I moved to wetnotes in my thigh pocket. What I like about it is the simplicity, just a book, no moving parts, nice and basic. Also many many pages, should you need them, and of course you can refer back to them easily later. What I don't like is digging it out of my pocket when I want it. Velcro is a great thing for closing pockets, but kind of a pain when you're opening pockets.

So tell me, what do you use, and why do you like it or dislike it?

I'm a wet note in the thigh pocket kind of guy. They don't come out all that often...when we turn a dive and at the deco stop. Other than that, they seldom see the light so it isn't too big of a deal...although it is a bit of a pain when the pocket is loaded with other stuff. Maybe I just need bigger pockets.

To jot down quick notes, I use one of these. I also have my computer strapped to the top slate. That debulks my forearm and still allows me 2 slates to write on. For longer notes, like when I'm taking survey notes in a cave, I use wetnotes.

To jot down quick notes, I use one of these. I also have my computer strapped to the top slate. That debulks my forearm and still allows me 2 slates to write on. For longer notes, like when I'm taking survey notes in a cave, I use wetnotes.

I've looked at those, and I like the idea, but a couple of people have told me they found them uncomfortable (and others have told me they loved them).

Now that I think about it, part of my problem is likely the fact that I'm left-handed, but only for writing. So I have the light, reel, etc. in my right hand, and would also have to wear the slate on my right arm. Which is probably why I wasn't so keen on the first doodad. The slate absolutely would have to be on my right arm if I wanted to be able read what I wrote.

Any insight?

We used the wrist slates in our cavern/Intro class, and I hated them. I liked the convenience of being able to write immediately, but the pencil was always popping off, and the slate caught on line. I now use wetnotes, but I have to admit they aren't the most efficient way to take notes DURING the dive, unless you are doing something like survey where you just keep them out the whole time.

Of course, Danny strongly discouraged me from TAKING notes during the dive, because he said it would interfere with me building the ability to hold the information in my head. So far, I'm not doing exceptionally well at building that ability, anyway, even without note taking . . .

I built a wrist slate into the neoprene sleeve I have my instruments on I use a mechanical grease pencil with it and all works great. About fifteen years ago I was give one of the larger Quest magnetic slates to test. It worked rather well but it was always in the way. Finally I hung its case off the butt of my rig and added some bungees to carry my emergency fanny pack and lift bag. It turned out to be rather a good combination.

I've looked at those, and I like the idea, but a couple of people have told me they found them uncomfortable (and others have told me they loved them).

Now that I think about it, part of my problem is likely the fact that I'm left-handed, but only for writing. So I have the light, reel, etc. in my right hand, and would also have to wear the slate on my right arm. Which is probably why I wasn't so keen on the first doodad. The slate absolutely would have to be on my right arm if I wanted to be able read what I wrote.

Any insight?

At first I wasn't a huge fan, but with some minor revisions/adjustments, they work great. I removed the standard strap it comes with and added a couple of lengths of bungee. This keeps the slate exactly where I want it. I also use a Dive Rite Dive wRites pencil instead of the one it comes with. It doesn't fall out of the holder. I hold my light, reels, etc in both hands, dependent on the dive and where I want it at that time. No interference with the slate. Do you dive dry or wet?

Wet, at least until after I buy a few more other toys.:)

The only thing to keep in mind will be you will have to make sure the bungee is snug enough to account for the neoprene compression at depth. My wife dives wet a lot and she has no issues with the wrist slate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom