installing new Miflex hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought the new Miflex hoses for my primary reg and for my BC. I was curious to know how tight to couple the hoses up to my reg and 1st stage. Is there a tool for ft/lbs or anything? Also, do I need to use any silcone grease on the o-rings before installing? Any tips you can give me?

There are a few similar threads

You can get a torque wrench and use 4-5NM - but it's not really necessary, finger tight plus 1/16 turn is fine

Debate rages on the lube, but lots of people don't and live to tell the tale

Enjoy your new hoses, I love mine

There are a few similar threads

You can get a torque wrench and use 4-5NM - but it's not really necessary, finger tight plus 1/16 turn is fine

Debate rages on the lube, but lots of people don't and live to tell the tale

Enjoy your new hoses, I love mine

Thanks! I did find more posts on the lube controversy... Actually good to read other opinions. Appreciate your response. Can't wait to try the new hoses.

Over tightening may cause serious damage. Under tightening may result in a leak. I start out with finger tight and the give it another 1/16 to 1/12 turn with a used o-ring or 1/8 turn with a new o-ring. A light lube of the o-ring is good to help protect the o-ring but not necessary. A little spit will help it slide OK as you tighten it. Then check the connections, by hand, when you set your gear up to make sure it has not loosened.

There is a lot of good advice here! I will just add one thing.

Once you have the hoses attached and tightened, hook it up to a tank, pressurize it and submerge the entire regulator setup in water and check for any bubbling. If you don't have a large tub to submerge it in, you can get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray all of the areas where the connections are and look for bubbling.

Miflex hoses are great! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do:)

Cheers

No need to lube static o-rings like hose rings. It doesn't hurt to lube them, though. There's some good advice already given on how tight to tighten the hoses. As an old airplane fixer, my standard answer would be "nice and snug", which is about 1/16th to 1/12th of a turn past finger tight, just like the folks already said.

lube the o-ring with silicone...then maybe the o-ring will last as long as your new miflex hose!

BTW- finger tight plus a 1/16 is darn near perfect

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom