Scalloping questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah... or even per trip. If your boat gets boarded, than can only count what's in the boat, not what you caught and ate yesterday.

The boys from Boston Harbor Diving pretty much have harbor dialed in. We've had some great trips with them. Equally as important, they are selective about where and when to go in order preserve the beds.

So is scalloping by boat the only option or just the preferred? Is their any scalloping via shore diving?

So is scalloping by boat the only option or just the preferred? Is their any scalloping via shore diving?

I don't know of any shore diving areas to get sea scallops. I've never seen them from a shore dive. If you want to give it a try, jump on one of the first charters of the year w/ Jim and Pat of BHDC. I went once last year and we bagged up real nice. Check it out.

LobstaMan

The boys from Boston Harbor Diving pretty much have harbor dialed in. We've had some great trips with them. Equally as important, they are selective about where and when to go in order preserve the beds.

Can you quantify how productive their trips are? How many pounds of meat are you getting with them? How deep? Sounds like they're a great operation.

Great article!

Hi I was thinking some you folks out their know a thing or two about these little critters that are so tasty. So I'm having lunch with the missus linguine with clams with scallops on the side oh so so good but expensive when you have to buy them.
So I'm wondering when diving what kind of scallops are available for harvesting while on SCUBA are they bay or ocean scallops?
Also what areas are they found in, topology wise or is it bottomology :wink: sandy vs rocky? Are they visible on the sea floor or do you still rake for them even while diving?

I found this info but would like to hear from those of you who have actually done this type of fishing.
http://www.nefmc.org/habitat/original_omnibus/scallops.PDF
Scallop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Matt's article is super. I can't add much other than some variations I talked about in my Fran Marcoux dive report.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ouxs-boat-daybreaker-sun-06-01-08-w-pics.html

Scalloping is really just a matter of getting dropped into a promising area and grabbing those beauties! :D

Oh, and remembering to watch your air gauge! :wink:

Dave C

Poe, I agree that three days would make the new fee worth it but I don't live close enough to the coast to get out regularly. Are there any other boats going out of Bar Harbor in February and March for scallops?

As for the shore diving, I'm going to give it a shot in Passamaquoddy Bay in Robbinston. I have a friend with a dock near a scallop bed. I just have to time the tides right and not have many expectations. I'll let everyone know how it works when it happens. If anyone's gone from shore for scallops, let us know.

I dove with Capt. Jim in Boston harbor two times last season. I had a great time both times. I would not call the diving scenic, the viz is about 3 feet at 50 FSW on average. The nice part is that its drift diving so you just go with the current until you hit the beds. you should not have any problems hitting the limit. I have a smaller goodie bag, and I filled it within 15 minutes. I only had that one bag, so I didn't come close to the limit, so bring a few bags! I would say the scallops were averaging 6 inches in diameter, with several larger than that. Its nice to get the scallops, but the dive is kinda like work. I wouldn't want to do it every weekend. After having done those two dives, I would not want to do it as a shore dive. It would be too strenuous pulling a full bag on the surface and then dragging it back to the car.

Poe, I agree that three days would make the new fee worth it but I don't live close enough to the coast to get out regularly. Are there any other boats going out of Bar Harbor in February and March for scallops?

Mark, there are no other recreational charters that run out of the Bar Harbor area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom