Puget sound Spear fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaksonbrown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone on this forum do any spear fishing in the Puget Sound area? What are you primarily hunting.... I know that Ling cod is the big thing around here, but there is only about a 35-40 day season....
As a potential speargun enthusiast,..can anyone from around here shed some light on whats avail to hunt and seasons, etc........

Samson-

The coast has a long ling season, not sure ,but I think you can shoot rockfish on the coast.
look at the reg book it will tell ya.

The sufperch, big flounder, and there may be a few other you might like to eat.

There's no reason not to take a gun and shoot dinner, what ever the fish is.

Samson I'm sorry that I cleaned out the puget sound, But it will restock by jan 09.

Happy Diving

I am going to start diving some sites I hope to hunt this spring.... I want to do some exploring around for some good Ling, Cabby, etc... hunting grounds......
Any Puget sound divers care to do some boat diving, exploring for the upcoming spearfishing season?? Any Scooter diving/spearfishing dudes or dudettes around??

Samson-

I see that area 4 Neah Bay is open right now for rockfish, and cabbys.... I want to plan a trip for an upcoming weekend. We can rent a hotel and get in a couple days of diving and hunting.... Its only a 3 hour drive from Seattle.......

Anybody up for a fun diving/spearfishing weekend soon???

Samson

If you have never dove up there be careful. Watch the tide exchanges very carefully as currents can drag you out to sea. Also, stay far away from any Makaw fishing nets they have issues about that. Make sure you are west of the Sekiu river when doing any spearfishing. Ling opener is in April I think. Freediving is a blast up there in the summer months when the weather settles down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom