Why a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you attach it properly, toward the back of the mask strap, it falls out of the way and is no problem.

Snorkles are a personal preference after you've completed OW training. They are more of a "nice to have" than a required piece of equipment. Most advanced divers do not use them as they tend to get in the way more than add value.

Snorkles are a personal preference after you've completed OW training. They are more of a "nice to have" than a required piece of equipment. Most advanced divers do not use them as they tend to get in the way more than add value.
In my experience you're wrong on all but your first point.

Here's my boy with his mask and snorkel (which are the same as mine) Farallon Snorkel (a dash older than the Tekna) .....

Don't suppose you would be interested in selling the Farallon? I have a friend who is interested in buying one.

I know everyone has their own opinions about snorkels :D I agree it's personal preference though.

Personally, I think it has more to do with the type of diving you're doing. I use my snorkel on a regular basis. We often have a surface swim to reach the area where we are going to start our dive :)

Even if diving where I don't feel that I need one, I keep one in a pocket. I consider it part of my safety equipment. Not to difficult to come up with scenarios where you would need one in an emergency.

Just my two yen's worth :)

Don't suppose you would be interested in selling the Farallon? I have a friend who is interested in buying one.
Sorry ... tell him to keep looking ... and if he finds two or more, please let me know.:D

I had the same question and was considering leaving my snorkel behind - but now I think I'll make sure I've always got it. Seems there are more reasons to take it than to leave it. Any thoughts on how to keep it out of the way?

Oceanic makes a pocket snorkel that folds up allowing you to keep it in your pocket, which is also an option.

Sorry ... tell him to keep looking ... and if he finds two or more, please let me know.:D

It's such a good design, I'm surprised they're not being made anymore. Makes me wonder if I should license the patent and start making them myself :wink:

Wonder what the market would be????:cool2:

I lost my snorkel on a beach dive back in November and have not dove with one since. I think if I buy one, I would just lose it again.

Possibly, or try to find one with a better snorkel keeper :wink: I can relate though as I recently lost a snorkel during a beach dive also. I just broke out my spare for the next dive and am shopping for another snorkel now. Can't imagine diving without one :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom