Getting my Evolution training this week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Gary

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well my Evolution Plus arrived by FedEx today and I'm starting my training the 26th. Looking forward to
finally getting trained and experience what so many other CCR divers come to my shop and enjoy.

Any words of wisdom from those who have gone before me?

Good Diving,

I hope you don't mind, but I saw your new rig at the shop. A little graffiti on the case won't hurt anything.

Treat it with much respect and never trust it. I'm sure you've heard the old sayings about complacency and PO2. The benefits are real. CCR's are great tools, but not forgiving.

Any words of wisdom from those who have gone before me?

Good Diving,

Always know your PO2 :wink:

Have fun - Richie is a great instructor.

OK...I'm hooked. All I can say is WOW!!! Fantastic experience, nothing like it. I need a little work on my bouyancy, but I'm told that's normal. Looking forward to tomorrows dive...maybe one of the wrecks, we'll see.

Good Diving,

The buoyancy does take time. I don't think I was comfortable doing an open water ascent without a line until I had 5 to 6 dives after class.

As others have said, never completely trust the rig.

The real fun starts when you do that first 3 hours long dive on something like the Grove with little or no decompression and realize after the dive you only used about 1500 psi of O2 doing it.

Once your finished with class and are comfortable diving the rig on some of the deeper wrecks set up a trip and I'm sure you won't have any trouble filling the boat for a great all day CCR only dive.

All,
I love CCR diving and the new dimensions it opened up for me, so much so I felt compelled to instruct technical classes...something I never wanted to do previously. A wise (ass) old pioneer in CCR's gave to me two bits of advice when I started out which I will now gift to you all: "Love the technology, not the unit" and "Treat your CCR like a girlfriend you caught cheating on you, NEVER trust her". So far "butterfingers Gary" has been doing great but he does still have two days, a few more hours and the FINAL EXAM to go...is anyone taking bets?

The buoyancy does take time. I don't think I was comfortable doing an open water ascent without a line until I had 5 to 6 dives after class.

Once your finished with class and are comfortable diving the rig on some of the deeper wrecks set up a trip and I'm sure you won't have any trouble filling the boat for a great all day CCR only dive.

Thanks for sharing. It's like I'm learning buoyancy all over again. And I thought after 38 years of diving I had it nailed....LOL . We did the Duane yesterday afternoon and doing the Eagle today. Nice knowing that I was well away from having to do any deco and plenty of gas on-board.

Being an ex-electricial engineer, one thing I do like about the Vision Electronics on the Evolution is the amount of information available to you. But it's all about comfort, knowledge, and experience on the unit your diving, so I'm sure other units have their pluses too.

Even though my instructor has some delusions at times when on his surface intervals, Richie is a great instructor and has the experience to impart to you real life situations, as well as, the solutions to those situations. It's that kind of hands on experience that makes the substance of any training class worth attending. So I can highly recommend him for any advanced training.

Heading down to the Dominican Republic for a few weeks in January. Looking forward getting a few more hours on the unit down there.

Well if you think there's enough interest in an All Day CCR only dive, I'm sure we could set some trips. I've got two boats 46' Newton or 30 Island Hopper we could use depending on interest.

Good Diving,

Back
Top Bottom