Princess Cays Island scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Striker-1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, does anyone know if the Princess Cays Island has any scuba dive sites or is it even allowed? :confused: we are going to Grand Turks and that is one of the stops
Thanks

On the cruise we did with Princess Cruises (5 years ago) there was only snorkelling off the beach when we stopped there.

Princess caye is a fenced off portion of a larger island. (don't remember the name)
Princess cruise lines didn't offer diving when we stopped there a couple of years ago. I did snorkel, but I didn't find much to see. I did really enjoy the stop just to relax and lay on the beach and that portion of the island is nice. It is kind of "groomed" for cruisers but very nice.

I believe last June they started offering a one tank dive, directly from the ship with one of the instructors as the DM. I haven't talked to anyone who has done it yet though.

As far as snorkeling on Princess Cay goes..do everything you can get on one of the first tenders over, and head straight over either north or south to the snorkeling area. I usually head north and have been there when they are feeding the fish. Better yet, bring your own dried fish food.

All of the fish there are used to being fed, given that whatever reef that was there has been long dead due to all of the tourists who don't want to stand in the sand.

Thanks all I booked a scuba trip from the ship I hope its worth the money since there does not seem to be anyother dive ops listed on the Island. They provide all equiptment but I will be bringing my own ,I wonder if they discount if all I need is a tank?

I am also booked on a cruise with Princess Cruise Lines. I have booked an excursion to SCUBA drive in the Princess Cays as well. I plan to bring my own regulator and mask, and wetsuit, but will leave the BC, fins and other items home (due to the weight restrictions on the planes).

I was wondering if anyone has already done this SCUBA dive at Princess Cays and could tell me about their experience. Also, does the dive shop their allow people to bring their own dive equipment?

I plan to do alot photography while there.

The Island Princess Cays is on is Eleuthra.

I did the one tank dive with the ship when we visited there in April. It is a bit pricey for a one tank dive, but as a novice diver I thought it was worth it. Small boat, small number of guests - 8 was the max I believe - individualized attention, I thoughy. No cattleboat. It is a shallow dive though - it was when we did it anyway as it was the last day of the cruise, and many of us were flying out the next day.

I am sure that you can bring your own gear - it woldn't change the price of this ship sponsored tour though, from what I remember.

I did the dive in may it was ok saw a good bit of life no "BIG" stuff though lots of baracudas and jacks there was a small blue hole but not allowed to dive it just view it. It was a bit pricey no discounts for your equipt. but good time if you need to get underwater some good photo opts aval too.hope this helps.

Thanks, I think that even though they don't give a discount for bringing your own equipment, we will dive there anyways. I will only be bringing my mask, regulator, and wetsuit. I kind of like to use my own equipment as I don't know how reliable someone elses is. Plus, I have my own intergrated computer that stores the dives for future reference. Also will be bringing my camera to. Should be a blast!

We are leaving in February and will be diving not only in Princess Cay's, but St. Thomas and St. Maartin as well.

Princess Cruises : Learn About Our Cruises : Shore Excursions

This says:-
Enjoy a single-tank dive on the seldom dived and pristine reefs of Eleuthera.

and it costs from $119 for one adult. i don't know if the info's current though.

Ocean fox is based down there somewhere. (Davis harbor, near wemyss bight i think) They might be available to take cruse folk out. Find'em at Welcome to Ocean Fox Diving, Eleuthera, The Bahamas. Looks like people from the Cotton bay resort get first dibs so i'd contact them first to see if they're likely to be busy.
Note the distance to Davis Harbor from Princess cay is 8 miles as the flamingo flies! (Google earth)

Have fun. Wish i was going with you!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom