Deepest solo yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

180 for 45 Alaska 46 degrees. Dual AA95s with single deco stage and lots of undergarments. :)

The best part was cooking of deco very gently swimming parralel to the beach to stay warm and passing a good friend of mine who happened to be solo diving as well! ( now does that make it a solo dive)? Didnt know he was there! You know who you are mr R!

Safe diving yall Happy Holidays!

180 for 45 Alaska 46 degrees. Dual AA95s with single deco stage and lots of undergarments. :)

The best part was cooking of deco very gently swimming parralel to the beach to stay warm and passing a good friend of mine who happened to be solo diving as well! ( now does that make it a solo dive)? Didnt know he was there! You know who you are mr R!

Safe diving yall Happy Holidays!

With a single deco bottle on a dive like that, I seriously doubt you had 2 of everthing that you needed to complete the dive. Who taught you that it is ok to go to 180 ft with only 1 deco bottle? Solo?

Plenty of Back Gas my friend 45 was total time not time at max depth, guess I should have been more specific. Please dont pick on me, I was young and slightly stupid! :)

Last edited:
Well if that was then and this is now, then I agree, live and learn.

Deco on back gas is somewhat of a myth. I know some agencies teach it. But in reality if you look at how long it takes to deco on trimix back gas, in cold waters, it is effectively impossible, even if you have enough back gas.

That is why it makes sense to have 2 deco bottles with you anytime you are diving with trimix.

1 deco bottle is fine for nitrox back gas (EAN 25 or EAN 32), because nitrox does in fact deco fairly quickly, at least compared with trimix.

So if you did the dive with EAN 25 and a deco bottle, then I would agree, good dive!

If you did it on air, deco would take a little longer. Either way, the narcosis must have been extreme then?

My deepest solo to date was 288 on air with a single 80 and a 13 cu-ft pony bottle on a wall in the islands. I was a little surprised how fast my air was used up. I got a little bent the week before and this was my first dive after the incident. Guess I wanted to see if the bubbles were all gone. I was pretty buzzed below 250.

Now I try to stay above 200 (or 225 very rarely) on air now.

My deepest solo to date was 288 on air with a single 80 and a 13 cu-ft pony bottle on a wall in the islands. I was a little surprised how fast my air was used up. I got a little bent the week before and this was my first dive after the incident. Guess I wanted to see if the bubbles were all gone. I was pretty buzzed below 250.

Now I try to stay above 200 (or 225 very rarely) on air now.

:rofl3:

This is precious. I can't believe it.

Well, that certainly beats:

1) my deepest air dive;
2) my deepest trimix dive;
3) my deepest solo dive.

And for a dive like that, I would not use air, I would have 2 of everything (actually 4 deco bottles too), and I would not dive solo.

What, you think I should find a buddy? Think I would be better off diving with a buddy who wants to dive that deep on air?

No TRIMIX actually EAX and it was ironically 24% not 25%. (had to check my log) It was a planned quick jump to check a line run to an outcropping with some fish we had been watching..

Narcosis? Thats the funny story nereas that I didnt want to get into and sound like a total tard it was a while ago! Ill save that one for another time!

My deepest solo to date was 288 on air with a single 80 and a 13 cu-ft pony bottle on a wall in the islands. I was a little surprised how fast my air was used up.

Well, that certainly beats:
1) my deepest air dive;
2) my deepest trimix dive;
3) my deepest solo dive.
And for a dive like that, I would not use air, I would have 2 of everything (actually 4 deco bottles too), and I would not dive solo.
I suspect a troll, for the same reasons N. is so amused. The consumption math, assuming an RMV of half a cu.ft. per minute, would chew up half the back gas just for a bounce, no stops. And the partial pressure of oxygen, at over two atmospheres, is, well, words fail me. Yes, people have done that on air. Please don't. CNS ox tox comes on fast, and makes toast.

-Bryan

214' at Ship Rock, Catalina to shoot video of a Chimney sponge that only grows deep in SoCal. Got a few minutes of footage, then made two circles around Ship Rock during the deco. It always seemed strange to dive with deep water animals and Garibaldis on the same dive.
default.jpg

Back
Top Bottom