Thoughts on these dive offerings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove with the folks at Small Hope Bay - and I'm almost certain that's where the OP found those descriptions. They've done some incredible deep diving down there off Andros Island on air - but from what I saw and experienced - I didn't see anything that even remotely looked or sounded unsafe about their operation. While I never heard anyone there talking about doing any of these dives I'm sure that the owner would be more than happy to discuss them with you - he's a good guy.

If the dive op is doing deep dives as a business, why not do it with the right gas and require the proper training for the dives? I think for the general public it's definitely upping the risk doing deep air dives.. I hope they have a chamber nearby! I think the clients would have a far better time diving trimix than air since they'd remember more about the dive... :)

Here a snippet from a site down there:

Small Hope Bay Lodge was built by Dick Birch, who left the snows of Canada for a new way of life. Dick opened Small Hope Bay Lodge in 1960 with four cottages and started a diving legend. Serving people was very important to Dick Birch and this quality is instilled in all of the family and staff of Small Hope Bay Lodge. His record for deep diving on compressed air to 462 feet remains unbroken.

Is this a record we should be posting on a website? :)

Bahamas Resort - Andros Island Bahamas Resort Hotel

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom