Diving Pensacola in winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

la_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a place to dive in the next month. Being from central La. the closest dive seems to be Pensecola. Are there any dive shops open this time of the year or is it just too cold. Wife wants to go to the Keys. Any sugestions. If there is no diving in Pensecola now, when does the diving begin.

i live in venice fl and the water temps along the keys are about 10 degrees warmer than here during winter. i would guess that the diff is even more signifcant between pcola and funky ol keys. there are some pretty good web sites for getting gulf temps.
any cheap air between new orleans and czm or cun?

The big attraction in Pensacola is the USS Oriskany (there's a sticky about it). During the winter you'll have much better luck on a weekend... As it stands I'm trying desperately to dive the Big O on Wednesday of this week! Try MBT Divers in Pensacola, their # is 850-455-7702 Welcome to MBT Dive and Surf!  Pensacola Florida (850) 455-7702

None of the dive shops in Pensacola close during winter. There is diving year round, but conditions are less stable in the winter, so don't be suprised to be blown out. There is alot of great divesites out of Pensacola, the Oriskany is just the most well known :)

That being said, if you look hard enough, you can find dive charters out of Biloxi and Pascagoula, MS. The AL coast also offers charters from Dauphin Island and Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL with several dive shops available there as well.

Thanks for all the info. Are most of the dive sites wrecks or are they natural reefs. Just returned from Coz two weeks ago but want to get some dives planned for sometime in Jan. I have to keep the cost down. I'll check around to see whats available. Thanks again for all the help.

We are diving all winter long, but this ain't the Keys or Cozumel. Water temps will be in the 60's and, as SuPrBuGmAn points out, the weather can be rough. We will be running to the "O" and many other sites (over 100 to choose from), so give us a call if you decide to come this way.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

Thanks for all the info. Are most of the dive sites wrecks or are they natural reefs. Just returned from Coz two weeks ago but want to get some dives planned for sometime in Jan. I have to keep the cost down. I'll check around to see whats available. Thanks again for all the help.

There are many dive sites there, generally grouped in three categories based on distance. To keep costs down consider the near shore dive sites (less than 10 miles out, I think). Most sites are wrecks or rubble.

You might also sneak in a shore dive or two. There's one at Gulf Shores, one at Pcola Beach (might be sanded over), and one at Navarre pier.

There is a lot going on in the winter months here in Pensacola. Like Superbugman said, the Oriskany the most recognized, but we have hundreds of other places closer...which helps if the seas are way up way out. We even have some bay dives that are fairly sweet. Check with your favorite op to see if they dive all year long. I know Dr. Dive does, 'cause I've shivered my @$$ off on many winter days coming back in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom