Rebreathers: is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acqua_girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently I've noticed that more and more people are getting rebreathers. Of course those people have stated all the benefits of diving with rebreathers and I was tempted to get myself one of those...:D

The question is: for a recreational OW diver is it worth getting one? For now, I've no intention in doing some "serious" tech diving, just some deep dives, simple wreck penetrations, etc.

Oh, and given that I live in Brazil I have to consider that it's kindda expensive not only buying one, but also taking all the courses to learn how to use it properly.

Any suggestions?

Tks!

That depends on what the cost of helium is where you live.

All the best, James

I think CCRs are a lot of extra effort to set up and maintain and need much more care and attention to operate than open circuit scuba. I guess it is a personal thing as to whether this is worth it - and that would depend on the sorts of dives you do, or want to do in the future and how much you want to get into the technology / gas theory you need to understand and whether you like completing check lists before every dive.

Lots of rec divers just want to swim around and look at the scenery - which is fine - but CCR requires much much more commitment. If you are interested in technology and doing more advanced diving then you might like CCRs, particularly if it allows you to do dives that would be more difficult with open circuit.

For me the attraction of CCR is better access to deep reef. In my opinion, a rebreather starts to come into its own at depths greater than 40 m, any shallower and twins are easier, cost much less and are probably safer, although shallower dives are good for practice. In the future I can see that CCR will allow me to do much deeper and more demanding dives than OC.

I had to go to another country to get the training for my unit - an interest in CCR can get really expensive really fast - so far the travel has been the cheapest part.

If you haven't already seen it already, Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step has a lot of information about stuff you might find interesting.

I think a lot of people dive them because they can and or because they are cool rather than because they need them.

For deep diving a CCR makes sense in terms of reduced helium use and cost, but it comes at the expense of a high purchase price for the rebreather, extensive training and rigorous maintenence requirements.

For a recreational diver the sorb costs are usually higher than, or at best not less than, the cost of nitrox on OC, so it is not really worth the extra risk and effort.

Also unless a diver dives a lot, and in essence can stay current on the unit, he or she has no business diving a rebreather.

Thanks for all the info! I'll surely check the links you recommended and consider your comments.

blatter, I really find the gas theory part of a CCR fun - I got to practice that a lot during college years - and don't mind about the check lists or commitment to trainning. So my main concern right now is the initial cost of the equipment, not so much the cost of keeping it running.

So far, I had no trouble with my OC scuba stuff, but sometimes I wish I could push it a little more (go a little deeper, get some more experience), as I've been diving every other weekend.

I guess that Aquamaster has a good point about the costs of a rebreather for a recreational diver. Although I do only shallow dives right now, I want to get a little more tec in the future, and that's why I was considering a CCR.

Maybe I should borrow/rent one before I spend lots of money? Or maybe get some more experience in tec diving?

I think a lot of people dive them because they can and or because they are cool rather than because they need them.

That's the reason I tried it. :wink:

CCRs have a special benefit to women divers because it allows them to exceed the bottom times of men with huge twin tanks.

If you are going down the CCR road, make sure you have a diving buddy with you at all times who watches you at all times. CCR malfunctions can be instantaneous and without warning of any kind.

CCR malfunctions can be instantaneous and without warning of any kind.

Where do you get this from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom