Getting the water out of the BC....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You actually rinse it? You mean as in getting the gear wet without diving?

It does seem rather pointless, now that you mention it.

I guess, if you rinse it when it is already wet from diving, it's OK.

:D:D
DS

Thanks to Zeagle, I simply unscrew the inflater, hook-up a garden hose and turn it on until the water starts coming out of the OPV. Then I just hang the wing upside down tilted toward the left side and the water just runs out of the corrugated hose. No fuss, no muss. Love that Zeagle Bx system. BTW, this is on a Halcyon wing.

Fish, ditto on the Bx system. Love my Zeagle gear

In order to minimize volume in my suitcase I suck the wing flat through the oral inflater. Just like inflating it but in reverse. It has the added benefit of getting it pretty empty of water, which is useful for packing as well. When I do this getting ready to return from a dive trip, I always get a little water out as well, but in any case, it seems pretty empty of both air and water when I'm done. I mean flat.

Ther is no way I would be doing that. The inside of a BC is a great breeding ground for bacteria etc. I heard a story some years ago of someone who died from a lung infection after breathing off a BC.

I'm still not sure why you would want to be obsessive about getting water out of the BC. It certainly won't harm the BC. The only downside is that the moist environment may result in bacteria building up, which isn't really an issue unless you breath off the BC.

water won't harm a BC, but salt will. So you should definitely rinse out the inside of the bladder with fresh water after diving in salt water, then let drain. The fresh water will dilute the salt and prevent salt crystals from forming which will tear up the bladder. If there's a little fresh water left in there afterward it's no big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom