ScubaBoard divers age group

Diver survey ... which age group are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey fish what is the prize if we win? We are so far.....

After free-diving for a couple years I got certified at 30. I'll be 50 in two months and have no plans but to continue diving. After two decades, it's still all I do and think about most of the time.

In my early 60's, started diving in my very early teens. Feel like 25 on the good days and 45 on the bad ones!

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.

I wonder if the industry has any historic data on the ages of scubadivers. It might be interesting to see if and how it's changed over the last 30 years or so.

I also wonder if the age breakout varies by country. When I dive in the Caribbean It seems that most of the younger divers I meet are European - Brits, Dutch and Germans, while the North Americans tend to be older. No hard data, just a feeling.

The big question facing the industry is whether that large 50-59 block of divers are 20-30 year veterans who will be phasing out of diving as they age, and aren't being replaced, or whether for whatever reason folks are starting later and those entering the sport will offset those leaving regardless of age.

Maybe the next survey could be how many years have folks been actively diving (10+ dives per year)

BTW- this survey might not be indicative of the age distribution of divers in general, only those of divers who post on scubaboard. There might be a large block of younger divers too busy enjoying life to answer these surveys.

I voted... but I'm changing demographics this year :(

Bought a house in Mexico, so we don't have to worry about reservations... does that count as a diving expense???

The wife and I are in the 50-59 bracket, kids are gone, grandkids very young and spending money on diving doesn't 'seem' irresponsible now.

Bought a house in Mexico, so we don't have to worry about reservations... does that count as a diving expense???
Unless the house is underwater and you can dive in it, I'm going to say "no" :D

But that is definitely some dedication to buy a house in another country for diving, sounds awesome!

But that is definitely some dedication to buy a house in another country for diving, sounds awesome!

i guess we're not so dedicated. We didn't buy our Cozumel home for diving. It's for between dives.

I also wonder if the age breakout varies by country. When I dive in the Caribbean It seems that most of the younger divers I meet are European - Brits, Dutch and Germans, while the North Americans tend to be older. No hard data, just a feeling.

My experience of dive classes here (Australia) is that the majority are younger ie late teens early 20's with a few older people being the exception rather than the rule

The big question facing the industry is whether that large 50-59 block of divers are 20-30 year veterans who will be phasing out of diving as they age, and aren't being replaced, or whether for whatever reason folks are starting later and those entering the sport will offset those leaving regardless of age.

I would imagine that if someone in the older age bracket has been diving for 20 - 30 years they must enjoy diving and would continue diving until health reasons prohibited it, for those in that age bracket entering the sport there would obviously be some that dont continue, same as any age group, but the majority I feel would continue to dive.

Maybe the next survey could be how many years have folks been actively diving (10+ dives per year)

Over to you for the next survey ...

I am in the 50 - 59 baracket and was certified in 1990 ... have no plans to stop diving in the forseeable future.

BTW- this survey might not be indicative of the age distribution of divers in general, only those of divers who post on scubaboard. There might be a large block of younger divers too busy enjoying life to answer these surveys.

Yep ... toatally agree, but hopefully we can get a good profile of Scubaboard members.

I'm 54 and been at it for 34 years. Other hobbies/interest have come and gone but there has not been a year passed since I started that I have not logged dives. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom