Hoping to dive the Oriskany, Wednesday 12/17/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glock Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello panhandlers!

I dropped a reply in the Oriskany Thread, but thought I might have more luck in the main forum. I'm hoping to put a dive together for the Oriskany in the middle of the week, on Wednesday 12/17. Unfortunately due to work, my availability isn't flexible :depressed:

But, I'm hoping to find some other area divers who might be willing to head out there, or if you know of a Dive Charter already planning a dive that day, I'd appreciate a tip. So far I've struck out... seems most are only planning Weekend trips to the Big O.

thanks! :D

that is going to be a tough. I can go, i can get one more maybe, will need 8 to make the trip. Its a long trip, I only want to go on a nice warm boat, i.e. the Wet Dream, anybody else?

My son and I are diving the 'O' on the 22nd--that is the best we can do given our schedules. We are headed to FL for the holidays and will be diving as much of Florida down and back (and wife/mother permitting) as we can.

8 divers? I talked to one dive charter (MBT maybe?) and they would go with 4 divers. Not sure what kind of boat they run.

I am planning a trip betwen 27th Dec-Jan2nd if anybody is thinking of diving the O then.

Oriskany Divemaster- you mean you already have a full charter booked for 12/17 going to the Big O??

OH, how did I miss that one! I have yet to find a boat going out that day. No room for one more??? :D

During the winter months there is a slow down in charter business which centers more to the weekends until things warm up. I believe that the H2O Below goes out to the Oriskany more than the other charters (I might be wrong) and they might be your best bet during this time of year. They book through MBT DIvers in Pensacola at www.mbtdivers.com their website is Charter Boat H2O Below**** Pensacola Florida . THe other problem you are going to run into around this time of year is the higher probability for wind. We have been getting some crappy off shore conditions here in Pensacola for about a month now (I live here). Yesterday we had gale force wind warnings and when I checked the 115 NM bouy it was reading 16.7 foot waves! Here is NOAA's predictions for wave conditions leading up to your target date, it is still early and these could change for the better or worse:

SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS BECOMING EAST WINDS 15
TO 20 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL
WATERWAYS CHOPPY TO ROUGH.

[SIZE=+1]SATURDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHEAST
AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS BUILDING TO 5 TO 7 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL
WATERWAYS ROUGH. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY MAY BE REQUIRED.

[SIZE=+1]SUNDAY[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 8 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS ROUGH.

[SIZE=+1]SUNDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS BUILDING TO 6
TO 9 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS ROUGH.

[SIZE=+1]MONDAY[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 8 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS CHOPPY TO ROUGH. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

[SIZE=+1]MONDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH 10 TO
15 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

[SIZE=+1]TUESDAY[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. BAYS AND
COASTAL WATERWAYS A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

[SIZE=+1]WEDNESDAY[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. BAYS
AND COASTAL WATERWAYS CHOPPY TO ROUGH. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

I spoke with MBT Divers today, and it sounds like they're trying to put together a trip Wednesday with one of their regular charters... Captain Doug I think? They mentioned taking a few of their DM's out there if weather permits.

:keepingfingerscrossed:

wjefferis - is that the closest buoy to the Oriskany? Would you happen to have a link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom