What constitutes a logged dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me I go with the 20/20 theroy. Past 20 feet for 20 minutesor more or it isin't a logged dive for me.

So in that case, if you did the cage dive that 'mselanaous' did with Great White Sharks you wouldn't log that dive yourself because it was only to 6ft. I can't understand that!!! If I did a cage dive with great whites I am sure it would be one of the most memorable and significant dives of my career. I cannot think of any reason not to log such a dive!!!!! :confused:

thanks all for the clarification on this issue.

I stopped diving for 4 years due to another hobby. Now I am back into it (and loving it) I wish I had logged more dives because I did them! My old log book has only about half the dives I did and its only due to laziness that the rest arent there. I wish I had logged them as there is no going back.

I fully agree that its for your own personal reference mainly, but I think that in the future you will want to recall all dives, even if at the time they seemed insignificant.

For those of you who do not number your pool dives but log them. Do you count your bottom time? Or do you just not add it in?

Thanks

Logically if you are not including pool dives in your total number of dives then you shouldn't include them in your total bottom time.

Honestly, I grew bored of logging the same dives over and over and stopped logging them a while ago. My favorite dives is only 18-23' deep, has the same fish over and over, the same plants, crab traps, boats trying to hit the dive flag, and fossils being found. Significant finds are tagged and photo'd anyway, so the record is already there. Outside of that the dive computer logs the dive and thats recorded on the PC.

In aviation it is the time your wheels leave the ground until they touch ground again at your destination. It is not a good practice to use hobbs time as it is not an accurate indicator of "flight" time. For me, in diving, it is when my head submerges until my head breaks the surface again. In aviation, all flights are logged whether they are training flights or cross country flights. So I use the same approach in diving as I did in aviation, pool dives for practice and training, freshwater and OW. That said, I wonder if Mike Nelson logged his dives....just kidding.:D Tim

When I was certified 25 years ago (NAUI/PADI) we were told to not log pool dives. We had 8 pool sessions of 2 hours each, i.e. 16 hours in the water and most of that underwater. Now, if you read the PADI materials, you are told to log every dive - including pool dives!

I only log dives that are significant to me. It's your log! If you want, log everything. An instructor might not "count" some of them towards a certain certification, but so what? :wink:

Went out last Thursday night with my new drysuit for the 1st time (7mm neoprene Bare). My old fins didn't fit so had to get some from LDS along with regulators. Stupid drysuit inflater hose had a maladjusted internal valve so couldn't hook it up. At the time I thought had the wrong kind of swivel valve since I received the suit from US and am diving in Europe. I know that there are more than one size. Got in the water anyway thinking, "At least I can work on setting my weights." :eyebrow:

Popped a dry glove right off the bat and flooded my inner gloves. Couldn't get my new mask to drain but thought, "Can live with a little water." Fin strap popped off after 5 minutes and it took me another 5 to re-thread it! Stupid fins. Got down to about 2 meters and my secondary started free-flowing. :shakehead:

At the surface, I shut off the tank and tried to clear the ice. Octo and primary start free-flowing when tank turned on again. Fiddled with them for about another 10 minutes and could get them to free up. Called the dive. Used 30 bar of air spent 25-30 minutes in the water and about 10-15 with my head under the surface. Only succeeded in getting irritated (and wet). :depressed:

DIDN'T LOG THE DIVE!!!!

So in that case, if you did the cage dive that 'mselanaous' did with Great White Sharks you wouldn't log that dive yourself because it was only to 6ft. I can't understand that!!! If I did a cage dive with great whites I am sure it would be one of the most memorable and significant dives of my career. I cannot think of any reason not to log such a dive!!!!! :confused:

If it were a "SPECIALTY" dive such as with sharks yes I would count that. I guess I could have stated that but you need to remember that I live in Canada, we don't have shark dives here and since i haven't dived outside Canada I answered to my dive history here. If I were to head down south, do a 6 foot shark dive that's a big difference between just dropping in 6 feet of water and swimming around. Something like that I would want people to know I did and have it logged. I was agreeing with most that a regular dive being less than 20 feet for "ME" I don't log. This doesn't mean I think everyon else should feel the same.

I make sure to log all my dives. It gives me an alibi for when the police come

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom