Mona Island - How's the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest that's a bit overkill, Ron.

You are on the right track but the only things you really need to worry about are the things that need to fit exactly right or are valuable and a necessity. Mask, computer and regs fall into that. Everything else you can get. This is Puerto Rico, not Antartica. :)

I'd be thinking a bit more about those big waves that Scubaskipper mentioned tossing me back on the boat... Heed that comment about not getting away from the DM.

Have fun!

SM,

I use a wheel-less duffle as my carry-on and a basic backpack for my "personal item" (something like high school kids carry their books in). In October, going to Cozumel, I don't think I had any scuba stuff in my backpack. In the duffel (small enough to conform to airline regs), I had my mask, regs, small light, computer and Zeagle Brigade BC. I had to maneuver things a bit to fit this into the duffel, but it all made it fine. It filled the duffel, but it wasn't especially heavy. Easy to handle, even without wheels (and I'm 59).

This time, I'm just gonna add the 3mm wetsuit and spare mask and light in the backpack....done. Again, the wetsuit may be a bit bulky, but it's light. I'll still have room for my iPod and a couple books.

The way I look at it, since I've got all my important stuff, United Airlines can't ruin my trip (unless they cancel the flight). I'd much rather lug a bulky wetsuit and BC in my carry-on than be scrambling to buy new stuff in PR.

When I typically travel, I usually breathe a small sigh of relief when I see my bag on the baggage carousel. When I have all the critical stuff, losing a checked bag becomes a minor, inexpensive inconvenience.

I do understand that some folks aren't too concerned about the unlikely prospect of losing a checked bag. Personally, I just rather know I have everything with me.

I did take note of Scubaskipper's warnings, though. Thx.

Ron

I got a call from Nekton late this afternoon regarding my shuttle time on Saturday.

I'm scheduled to arrive in PR at 1:15 and my shuttle to Pilot is at 4:45 pm. I guess it's a three hour ride to the west side of the island and we can't board until 8:00 pm. Still, I was hoping to be leaving San Juan earlier than 4:45.

Anyone have a different time?

Ron

I think that's the same as what we were told. Nekton told us a bus or large shuttle. Hmmm. probably one of the old bluebird buses with no AC and windows that don't work with bubble gum stuck all under the seat. Just kidding, had a few field trips on those as a kid and remember the best part was getting off the bus.

Yes... I got the same message... 4:45... and one larger bus. From my perspective, I think that is actually good news... I think that it may be more reasonably sized for us plus gear.

Remember that the meeting point is right in front of the on airport hotel (where I'll be staying) -- C'mon into the lobby... take a look around... I'll probably be camped out someplace... hopefully with A/C or at least a fan.... a diet coke ... and a book.

Liz

Liz,

Well, there must be only one bus (for all 28 of us). Otherwise, you'd probably be on an earlier one, since you're arriving in SJ the night before.

I'll look for you in the hotel lobby.

Ron

To each their own, Ron G. Since your profile showed low dives, I thought I would share my experience. I got tired of lugging all that junk, though I did carry my housing to PR. :)

Our PR->St Croix trip only went to the East side of the island in a van so it was a shorter trip from the airport, and we got to see little of the island. Unfortunately what we saw was a lot of bars on the windows, all the paint colors apparently unwanted by the rest of the world, and some poverty, but lush vegetation. Perhaps you'll see more of the rural side of PR.

ShastaMan,

I do understand that your recommendation is what most experienced scuba travelers do. This will be only my second trip with my full complement of equipment and I would hate to spend a week on the liveaboard without it....just because the airline lost my checked bag. I'd just rather go through the inconvenience of schlepping almost everything on the plane and being sure that I'll have it when I arrive.

I'm gonna have a great time next week and a lost bag is not gonna spoil it. :)

Ron

ShastaMan,

I do understand that your recommendation is what most experienced scuba travelers do. This will be only my second trip with my full complement of equipment and I would hate to spend a week on the liveaboard without it....just because the airline lost my checked bag. I'd just rather go through the inconvenience of schlepping almost everything on the plane and being sure that I'll have it when I arrive.

I'm gonna have a great time next week and a lost bag is not gonna spoil it. :)

Ron

Ron G - make sure the bags you are taking as carryon meet the size specifications. We just returned from Roatan and at the airport they made people come up and check those slightly larger bags (happened with both Continental and Frontier, saw people doing it at other airline gates also). Some people were trying to get dufflebags or two rolling bags on and it didn't work. One airline even announced that anyone who was trying to take on a bag that was over the acceptable size would have to check it and be charged the $50 fee for it. We were at Houston and Denver airports when we witnessed this. Because of the new airline baggage charges, people are trying to get around it by carrying on more stuff. So try to board the plane early so you can get overhead bin space! One plane we got on early and people were bringing on so much stuff that the bins were filling up fast, we almost had to check our regulator bag! Just wanted to let you know!

Have a great trip and we expect a BIG trip report with topside and underwater photos!

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom