Cannister light mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laughingsquid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Can anyone let me know the correct positioning for the light switch for cannister light, on top or on the bottom! And if on the bottom, is there a good way to effectively seal the cannister from the bottom!

Thanks!

Can anyone let me know the correct positioning for the light switch for cannister light, on top or on the bottom! And if on the bottom, is there a good way to effectively seal the cannister from the bottom!

Thanks!

Top. Thats where the light cord comes out. Otherwise your light cord will have to take a pretty severe angle and will also probably be too short. I assume you are talking about a regular ol' canister light like Halcyon, Salvo, Diverite, etc......

Top and "inside" the cord (on the medial side)

The switch will then be turned on by the noses of backup lights poking around back there. And the switch itself and any little plastic collars sticking up around it won't catch on any line.

This might be what RJack said, but the light cord should go on the outside of the canister as it is mounted on your hip so that no line can get trapped between the cord and the switch.

Tom

I was taught 'cord out' but I also had the same GUE-F insturctor as b1gcountry if I remember correctly. :wink:

Personally I like 'cord out' for the reasons stated -- keeps the possibility of a line trap between the cord and the switch non-existent, and if your backup lights hit the switch they only hit it in the 'on' direction.

Whichever way you do it, at least do it the same way every time. I never really did until I took GUE-F and then realized the value in doing so, if for no other reason than I always know the direction I need to flip the switch to turn the light on. Flip it back and the light turns on. It always goes in the same direction, and it's always in the same spot. Before then I just put it on however and fiddled with it until I got it to turn on. :wink:

During my classes, the instructor personally preferred 'cord out' but does allow for students; personal preferences.

To be fair, the cord out pic wouldn't matter anyway as it appears to be centered in the lid. Some of the older lights were that way. The newer lights are so thin you have to offset the cord and the switch.

I doubt it really matters that much. I know I have never turner my primary off accidentally with the backup light. I've broken a couple of cords, but both of those were near the light head and not the can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom