Perch Lake & Blue Hole - 11/9/09 - Some Geology stuff. :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a few dives the other weekend at Perch Lake and Blue Hole. I shot some video in Perch Lake, but unfortunately the lighting conditions weren't the greatest and none of the video really came out. It's kind of a bummer because I was hoping to pull some still frames from the camera of an interesting rock formation in Perch Lake. It looked like a petrified barrel spounge. I'll have to try to find it again and get some pictures of it.

The water conditions at Perch Lake were warmer than this time of the year last year. My gauge registered 51 degrees in Perch Lake, with no noticable thermalcline. Last year about this time the water temperature was around 42 degrees. So far, I've attributing this to the mild fall that we're had this year. I also took some PH test strips with me to test the acidity of Blue Hole and Perch Lake. Perch Lake registered a 7.0 (Neutral) and Blue Hole tested between 6.0 - 6.5 (slightly acidic). I thought that was pretty interesting given we sometime complain about chapped hands, faces, and the chalky residue that is left on our gear after the dives. I always assumed that the water was alkaline. Maybe that's changing?

I also took a some rock samples from Perch Lake and Blue Hole when I was there. I've been gaining some interest in geology recently, so I figured that I would take some rock samples to try to figure out the geology of the region a little better.

geomap.gif

First I wanted to get a generalized idea of how old the rocks are in the area. So I found a generalized Geologic Map of New Mexico and determined that most of the area dates back to the Mesozoic era, so 245 mya (million years ago). That includes the Triasic and Jurasic periods. The time period is determined by carbon dating and fossil records. I put a little red circle on the attached map of the region.

dscn0759.jpg

The first rock sample that I took was from Perch Lake. The color of the rock is light grey with some hints of a red rust color. Perhaps rust color from an iron mineral oxidizing. It has as a fine grain and some degree of foliation. There is a slight shimmer to the rock when it's held to the light. It's very brittle and can be scratched by rubbing your finger against it. It does not efferves when white vinegar (dilute hydrochloric acid substitute) is applied directly on rock or when the rock is scratched.

I determined that this was a Sedimentary rock called Shale (mudstone).

Perch Lake is interesting, geologically. Many of the rocks that I'vee seen along the wall of the dive seem to be very porus, much like a sponge. The barrel sponge shaped rock is very interesting though. I wonder is the rock is igneous, limestone, or some forgotten reef from a period of time when the area was covered by a shallow sea? The dive interests me more and more every time I slow down to look at the rock formations on the walls. It's very cool and very different from the Blue Hole. I've only seen a single confined area in the Blue Hole that has the same sponge like rock formation.

The remaining rocks are from the Blue Hole. I've been trying to figure out if the Blue Hole was more of a limestone solution type cavern or a cavern formed by volcanic activity for a while. Two samples appear to be limestone, one is dolostone, and the fourth appears to be Sandstone. What else confuses me is the Blue Hole itself. The walls that form the hole are filled with cracks that run in every direction and layers. It doesn't really bare much simularity to the holes that I've seen video of from places like Florida.

Here are the Limestone samples:

dscn0772.jpg

dscn0781.jpg

Sample number 3 (left upper image), initially confused me. I was starting to think that I had a metamorphic rock because it has large crystals covering about a quarter of the top of the rock. (click the image to see the crystals). I initially thought it was quartz, but soon realized that the crystals were much to soft to be quartz because I could easily scratch them with my finger nail. Once I did the 'fizz' test I realized that the rock was limestone.

Here is the Dolostone sample:

dscn0766.jpg

Here is the Sandstone:

dscn0775.jpg

Why do I think that the rock is sandstone? The color, hardness (stratches glass), foliation, grain size, and it doesn't efferves with vinegar.

So, out of five rock samples, all five are sedimentary.

Interesting ideas James! (Could you resize those pictures, it would easier to read the entire post)

I've heard from some source that some of the rock is Carbonic rock. Which I'm assuming is basically a sandstone type class that has been etched or partially disolved by carbonic acid leaving those nodules (reminds me of popcorn) that you see in some of the rock at Blue Hole, Perch and Rock Lake.

Interesting stuff James, and thanks for sharing!

I enjoy Perch the more I dive it also. I thought the sponge like things were... plants? But you are saying they are rocks... We have also smelled sulfur while diving Perch.

Not surprising that the rock formations are sandstone, but the definitely have more character than most sandstone I've seen. Kevin's thought have merit.

Sorry we won't see you next weekend at the Hole.. it's been a while. Sorry you are so busy.

James,
I looked at these places as well and have samples too......
The Blue hole is a volcanic chamber that has been opened to the surface. The light colored/spotted rocks are Andesite, there is red ones in the area too that is Rhyolite.
There are old hand drawn cross-sections around that show the lower chambers in the hole below the grate. They are old magma chambers as well. The hole stays warm due to the geothermal heat that the water is still coming in contact with.
Perch (as well as BH) has crap dumped into it so the samples won't be too good unless you get them off the side walls or bottom. There is a small vent in the bottom of it as well, but it's filled in with so much mud that the inflow of water is all but cut off. BTW, the frothy rock in Perch on the side walls is like a pumice. But not volcanoclastic in nature. I'm not the best volcanologist, I did a lot of hard rock and sedemintary geo work. Now days I just play a carbonate geo.
I have also been in Rock Lake and it's WAY cooler than the hole is. It also has an active vent in the bottom of it at I think 340' that has the walls near it all stained white with minerals and pumps out hot water..... I haven't been that deep in it, my TDI instructor has been on the bottom many times and told me about it.
I didn't really look over the rock pics you took, I'm in the office right now and don't have the time.....
PS, I'm a Geologist.... more like geogeek I still have tons of rocks sitting in and around my house.:rofl3:

PS, if you look at the overall picture you will notice a trend through the Permian reef complex in the center of the state that trends N-S. Notice also that there are several volcanoes to the north and west as well as volcanic tubes in the SW part of the state. There have been many episodes of eruptions w/ erosional periods that have tore the state all to heck. I have some radio active sedimentary rocks that came from the (supposed) back reef area of El Capiton, that just doesn't fit a back reef area too well...... There are alos PC rocks that pop up in some odd places on that carbonate trend - to the North. Basically, the state is one heck of a geologic mess with some really cool things to see and collect

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom