Adjusting my Mares Proton Metal (42) - Freeflowing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the informative post Greg. I'm also a big fan of Mares regs (have 3 MR-12 Protons and 2 MR-22 Abyss regs), and do appreciate the info you provide on them from time to time in the forum.

To the OP: I think if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, I'd follow Phil's advice. The adjustment is not "rocket science", but it would best to have a Mares technician perform the service if you are not sure how to do what Greg was describing above... good luck!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Very interesting post, which brings up a question. Even though I am veeeery happy with my V42 Proton Metal, I would love if I could have the 2nd stage adjusted for a little easier inhaling. (I guess I'm just a delicate flower when it comes to breathing hehe!). I have had it just recently serviced by a Mares tech here in Greece, and when I asked him if he could adjust it for a little "softer" cracking pressure (I hope I am using the right term) he replied that he has to service it to the exact Mares tolerances otherwise it could become unbalanced. I am a little jealous of my buddy's (Non Mares ) reg, that has the knob on the 2nd stage for easier or harder breathing. So what is it, is it a big no no to have the Mares tech "soften it up" a little, would it mess up my reg or maybe the guy just doesn't want to be bothered with it!
Thx.
1011ster

Normally if you set a Mares Proton reg up to factory tolerance (1.3 - 1.4 cracking pressure), it will wind up at the low end after several dives. If you set it up below 1.3, without it having some "break-in", it can wind up freeflowing.

I usually set mine up at the low end, use them for 5-6 dives and then recheck them and reset to 1.2 and they hold there forever. If they get to about 1.1 on a Proton 2nd (or 1.2 on an Abyss), they tend to freeflow badly at the surface, although they are OK when fully submerged.

Any reg set below 1.1 has a fair chance of not fully sealing the exhaust valve on inhalation and breathing wet (this why adjustable regs when cranked to breath "easy", often breath wet).

Most people cannot tell the difference between 1.2 and 1.5.

Hi,

Well I have had the reg adjusted by another service centre in Darwin, Australia, and it is now working beautifully again.

I am also a huge fan of Mares and I love my Proton Metal.

My only hesitation in recommending this reg would be for divers in remote areas, it is not as easy to self-service as some competing brands.

That said - now that it is working, I wouldn't switch for the world.

Hi All,

I'm so glad I read this forum before doing anything to my brand new Proton 42 Metal reg! I've only used my reg once (yes, it's that brand new!), and experienced the same prob as 1011ster ("I would love if I could have the 2nd stage adjusted for a little easier inhaling"). But after reading what TN Traveler wrote about using it for 5-6 dives, I think I'll leave my reg alone after 5-6 dives and see if it I can "break it in" lest I have a freeflowing reg problem :p

Thanks guys! This most junior diver really appreciated it!

Btw, TimorDiver, I'm in Brisbane too. Can you tell me where you got your reg serviced? I bought mine from a place in Southport, which is kinda far... Thanks!

When seeking the servicing of Mares regs in Australia, it would be wise to check if the dealer has completed the intensive 3 - 4 day Mares LAB program currently being conducted all around Australia by C.B.I.
The Mares LAB program is the most successful indepth servicing program ever offered.
The dealer should have a certificate to prove his/her competency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom