Underwater motorbike...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meh. OK.

Can I dive with CO2 in the supply tank? That reduces my oxygen consumption (extends bottom time).

The mythbusters used this on their show once. It looked interesting then.

It specifically says "oxygen" in the video 39 seconds in. Be a fun way to kill those last decompression stops.

Sorry. On one of the posts where we were discussing this machine it was stated that it was a regular scuba tank which is what it looks like in the video, and I missed the reference to O2.
My first reaction when I saw it was that it looked like it could be fun. Then I started thinking about what could go wrong if used by the unskilled diver. From comments on other posts though, I gather that these are suspended on "tethers" and used as tourest novelty excusions, under the close supervision of DMs, to prevent just the sort of disasters that I was imagining. This was not apparent in the video on MSN.
Not exactly James Bond class vehicles. Oh well, it was fun to let the imagination run wild, but then I don't really want to go that fast when I'm diving anyway!

I had to watch the Stuart's Cove video thanks to firewalls.

........Where are the emergency procedures? Loss of air? Loss of power? Safety sausage?

:no:

Well, they are tethered to the boat so in theory a loss of power would be little more than an inconvenience. However, it would be a bit of a bugger if they were out over the great abyss and the tether broke dropping them....ummm I thought you were watching them....no I thought you were.....do you think anyone will notice??? Loss of air: I can only assume that the (what I assume are) safety divers would come over with a purging octo however this is an assumption. Again, I would expect that the safety divers are well equipped for boat separation on the surface however that does little for the individual who was not even wearing a safety vest.....even with a buoyant wetsuit, I would want a life vest or BCD on the surface for an extended stay.

I am sure nothing has happened with this, however I think it could turn very sour if anything ever does go wrong. All in all though, it does look kind of neat.

I'm sure what was meant by "oxygen" was really "air containing oxygen." This commercial seemed to be aimed at the layperson who only knows that they need oxygen to breathe.

I'm sure what was meant by "oxygen" was really "air containing oxygen." This commercial seemed to be aimed at the layperson who only knows that they need oxygen to breathe.

I sure that is what he meant too but lay people don't know the difference so why not use the correct terminology? It avoids divers making fun of you and doesn't falsely inform those who don't know any better.

"I sure that is what he meant too but lay people don't know the difference so why not use the correct terminology? It avoids divers making fun of you and doesn't falsely inform those who don't know any better."

true.

I would hope it comes with a bailout bottle....

Back
Top Bottom