Looking for a Dive Buddy in Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wethead

Reaction score
I am pretty new to the board. I posted on Meets and greets, but it was suggested that I look into the Texas board. So here I am. I am looking for a dive buddy to do rig diving with. I have a boat and live in NW Houston. Serious inquiries only...no psychos or suicidals.

Wethead

Wethead once bubbled...
...no psychos

Damn....Good luck!

Hey Wethead,

I might take a chance......then I might not......I'm just half crazy and if you can imagine it, I've probably done it.....you'll have to tell me a little more about yourself, I don't go divin' off shore with folks that don't know what they are doing, again.......I might take a chance.

I'm in, but mostly available only on weekends

I've tried going out to the George Vancouver Liberty Ship in my boat (15 ft jet boat) to dive solo, but haven't had very good luck getting tied up to the buoy... One of those situations where having another person onboard to mind the boat while you're diving (or at least holding it off the object that you're tying up to) would make things a lot easier... Having your boat floating away while you're trying to tie up kind of sucks...

I've flown my plane out over the Gulf scouting out rigs prior to attempting to get there in my boat... A 20 nm flight sure is easy compared to a 20 nm boat ride in rough seas... Just checked the buoy report and the seas are currently running 8.5 ft... That's a little too much for my boat... I prefer nothing more than 3 ft seas with it since it's only a 15 footer)... Perhaps your boat handles them better than mine...

Here's the URL to buoys that I check:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=42019
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=42035

Give me a shout the next time you want to go...

Wow!!!

I hope you have an EPIRB on that 15' ski boat. I'm certain you also keep appropriate survival equipment in your little plane while making 20 NM flights out to sea.

Ain't adrenalin and testosterone a marvelous combo?

I hope you have an EPIRB on that 15' ski boat.

Nope... VHF radio, flare gun, a .45, cooler of beer, soft drinks, water and ice along with the other USCG required stuff...

I'm certain you also keep appropriate survival equipment in your little plane while making 20 NM flights out to sea.

Depends... Sometimes I'll carry a life vest with me, but usually not... I've usually got a cooler of drinks with me though... Depending upon my altitude, I might be able to either glide to shore or ditch near a rig or one of the many boats out in the Gulf...

Ain't adrenalin and testosterone a marvelous combo?

Well, it's worked for me for the last 43 or so years...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom