Kelvin Grove and Porteau Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy Doug and I met up with Gratefull Diver and their group at Kelvin Grove. Also ran into Skookumchuck and Wet Rookie. Thanks for letting us tag along.

We found a massive octo at Kelvin but he was well tucked into his den. And Doug found a Buffalo Sculpin for me to take pics of. We then went to Porteau Cove for a night dive. Low tide vis wasn't the best but we found a baby octo which made the whole dive.

Here's some pics and a video of the octo.

http://s377.photobucket.com/albums/oo215/deepdiverbc/?action=view&current=BabyOcto.flv

081122PorteauBabyOcto1.jpg

081122PorteauBabyOcto2.jpg

081122KelvinBuffaloSculpin1.jpg

081122KelvinBuffaloSculpin2.jpg

081122KelvinPaintedGreenling.jpg

081122PorteauSpotPrawns.jpg

081122PorteauNorthernRonquil.jpg

That could be the one.

Now that it gets dark so early I would like to do more night dives. There's probably a better chance of seeing an octo out of the den.

Great photos Deep. The octo looked like a decent size in the first photo, then quite tiny in the second. Very cool.

Cheers,
Bill.

I was just thinking I could have placed a toy boat in front of it and made it look like a monster from the deep.

Next time you guys hit porteau.. try the jungle gym. you can get snapshots of massive 5-6' lingcods
there's hundreds!

I went into ones territory on sat and it chased me out. First encounter with a pred. It was freaky! but I was happier than a pig in mud when I surfaced :)

we saw the big one under the dock a few weeks back, it was huge!!

i enjoy night diving much much more than the day time sooo much more going on a few night dives i had at porteau we have seen up to 7 octos 1 big 1 medium and 5 tiny

Ya, we had a good day of diving. I missed that little octo, great picture of it though., there I was pointig out the large one in the den to everyone else and there was one right underneath me which I did not see. Oh well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom