Wing Size Suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingbuddy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is exactly a DIR question, but since I am purchasing some new gear for my fundies class next year, and I thought some divers here might have personal experience using Halcyon wings, I thought I'd seek suggestions here...

I dive double HP 100s and was looking at the Halcyon Evolve. I like the donut shape for air movement and trim.

I was wondering if the 40 would be too small or if the 60 would be too much?

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

The 40 is just right for 7.25" diameter tanks. The 60 would be to big. I use the 60 on my double 130's and a 40 for my double AL80s.

I've tried many wings, I really like the Halcyon Evolve.

My 55lb Eclipse is too big and floppy for my HP100s, but my 40# wing won't float them on the surface with my steel plate (It won't even float my AL plate if I get a good fill).

I guess that brings up another question of how important is it exactly to be able to float your wing without you in it. It's not like I'm ever doing Doff+Dons with my drysuit and doubles...

Tom

I dive an older Halcyon 55# horseshoe wing with dbl 100's. I agree with Duane that 55# or 60# is too much. I don't have experience with the 40# Evolve but the capacity seems about right.

Hunter

Although I'm not sure about imperial units, I believe Evolve 40 is ok. To give you the clue, I use Evolve 60 for 2 x 16 and 2 x 18 liters and Evolve 40 for smaller (2 x 12 and double AL80s).

I dive double HP100s. I have an Oxycheq 50# Signature series wing. It will float my rig, provides adequate lift and is not oversized or floppy. It is very well built and streamlined. I also have a 55# Hollis wing. Don't care for it with my 100s. It's really best suited for 8" tanks as it's too wide and floppy with my 100s.

I had an Evolve 40 and it worked just fine with the Worthington HP100's I was diving at the time. Once I went with 119's, and started carrying extra gear like deco bottles and a scooter, it wasn't enough wing. So I got an Evolve 60.

Another alternative is the DSS Torus 49. In terms of both lift and "footprint" it fits nicely between the two size Evolve wings (plus it's a lot less expensive).

Here's a comparison of the Torus 49 (left) with the Evolve 40 (right)
P1010002.jpg

And here's a comparison of the Torus 49 (right) with the Evolve 60 (left)
P1010001.jpg

The extra lift and size of the Torus makes it an ideal choice for HP100's if you are contemplating using them for tech, where you'll be adding more gear to your rig ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another vote for the Torus 49. Not to mention that Tobin's customer service is about the best there is.

Hey Bob, if you need a place to store that Evolve 40 send it my way. :)

LOL - thanks Duane ... it's good to know you've got my back ... :D

Unfortunately, I had a dive buddy who couldn't wait to buy it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom