Question from a young gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont shoot fish unless you know they make the limit. There are plenty of fish that will make it with no question. If it looks small....it is..........go with your gut...it is usually right......we have the added benefit out at the rigs of never having to question sizes. You will gain experience as you go and eventually size will never come into question.

Guys, I appreciate all of your opinions and advice so very much. The reason i ask this is because on my very first spearfishing trip i shot an AJ that was 1 inch too short to be legal. I was so excited i hit the thing that i didnt even realize. When i got to the surface the boat captain gave me a huge butt chewin for shooting a fish that was one inch too small. Ever since then i have just been so hesitant that I come up empty handed ALOT. Im still practicing though because spearfishing is the most fun i have ever had!!

CMBURCH, No doubut spear fishing divers shold do all they can to catch legal size fish. An for the most part, I beleive we do. I am simply saying that mistakes do happen. And when they do other divers on the boat shouldn't make life hell for someone who tried not to make the mistake. Game Wardens.......Don't care about their opinions!

I have heard recently that California Game Wardens are issuing $1,500 citations to Captains even though it is their clients with the illegal fish on board. They also cite the offender. How to eat up a days profits and then some. It would be good to know the exact regulations. It would be best not to bring or place an illegal fish on boat, kayak or float or board.

Yes, I have heard stories of our Game Warden's getting our of control in California. I had a friend that got nailed for having a Lobster just under the mark and was fined $3,000. He went to court and the Judge reduced the fine to $300 and forced the warden to return all my friend's lobsters to him--he had taken his whole catch, not just the illegal one. So, yes, be careful. But don't yell or insult a young boy because he made a mistake. Educate him nicely and explain the situation to him and wish him better luck next time. As far as Game Wardens, always be aware of them and look for them before you even get out of the water. They are evil and their objective is to destroy your life and their penalties/fines do not equate to your violation. They misrepresent why they are there and attempt to trip you up. I am so tired of proving to a Warden that I had paid my fee and that I have my license on my body. Supposedly they are necessary...although I dont' believe it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom