How low is low?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knobber

Registered
Reaction score
Since my FG trip was postponed for three weeks, my instructor asked if I wanted to do my AOW navigation dive at Smith Lake (Vidor) since he would be out there. "SURE!" was my reply. Oh how I should have thought about this one!
I had been out there the day before, helping pick up trash in the swimming end. Very fun, and visibility was about 5 feet. It was about 10 feet during my OW, so I figured it was just a bad day. Sunday, after a constant shower for the previous six hours, it was 2-3 feet! Not necessarily bad if you're going first, but since I was second, following the first guy meant I also had to swim through his HUGE silt trail. I kid you not--in that, the visibility dropped to 3 inches; so bad that I had to raise up to see my wrist compass, and I was already off course, so I had to start over.
By the time I got back to the start, another guy had gone, so I was now swimming through three silt trails. Everyone had to start over at least three times.
I feel like an idiot--I had to start over four times before I got it. But I did, and my other dives--square and retrieval--were cake.

Does 2-3ft-diminishing-to-3" visibility qualify me for an honorary swamp diver membership if I haven't paid the fee yet? :D

You still need to dive with another Swamper to become a Swamper but you're now more than qualified to dive most of our local mudholes! What you described happens everywhere we go!

Ya forgot to mention the perch bites!!!!:rfish: :rfish: :rfish: :rfish:

FWNurseshark once bubbled...
Ya forgot to mention the perch bites!!!!:rfish: :rfish: :rfish: :rfish:

THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER???

:wacko:

"NUK...NUK...NUK.... where have ya'll been?! Poor Knobber doesn't have a clue just how strange swampers are. Sure ya want in?

hell yeah I'm sure! If I can dive in the swamp's conditions then currents, sharks, out-of-air (hee hee) would be no problem!! :D

Knobber- I don't know about you but I don't ever want to tempt running out of air. Making the "awww" sound in an emergency ascent - I used to think mainly prevented your lungs from colasping which is life threatening in itself but recently taking a nitrox class there was a story of an 8yr old who played with his father's regulator and then swam across the pool and died instantly of an air embolism. What saved a lawsuit I understood was that whatever course the father took instructed never ever hold your breath. I don't believe 8 yr olds (it's 12 I think) are allowed to "play" with this equipment anyways but the point is how serious it is. I apologize for sounding like a lecturer but I've seen too much in my work. I love to have fun or else I wouldn't be in this sport myself. I wonder though- skiing- you don't have to be certified, skydiving you don't either. I wonder why scuba requires a card.

FWNurseshark once bubbled...
Making the "awww" sound in an emergency ascent - I used to think mainly prevented your lungs from colasping...
To make sure it is stated correctly for any non-divers lurking in the thread, making the "awww" or "errrr" sound during a Controled Emergency Swimming Ascent is to ensure your airway is open to allow the expanding air in your lungs to escape. This reduces the risk of a Lung Overexpansion Injury.

(you had the right info/idea, I just want to make sure the concept was stated clearly)

I have also thought about how interesting it is that c-cards are not required for other "dangerous" sports.

<laugh> perhaps in some (not so good) cases, we should include dating, parenting, and marriage?

Back
Top Bottom