First stage flooding, possibly how to avoid it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flow checks every five minutes? Is that something one encounters at the T1 level or above? Because I have never been taught that . . . Flow checks before submerging, after any contact with the overhead, after any manipulations of valves, and Danny had us do one on reaching the mainline. But nobody has ever taught me to do flow checks every five minutes. Is that only for the deco bottle(s)?

Every 5 mins?? No way, why, what are you catching that reasonable buddies and gas knowledge wouldn't?

Although its prudent to do one after descending an anchor line (to catch a left rolloff).

That's my feeling, too. If I haven't hit anything or manipulated any valves, why would my valves be anywhere other than where I put them? In open water diving, away from overheads and lines, I can't imagine what would change that would merit going through a flow check every five minutes. Shoot, if I had two deco bottles, doing a flow check every five minutes would probably use up the vast majority of my dive!

That's my feeling, too. If I haven't hit anything or manipulated any valves, why would my valves be anywhere other than where I put them? In open water diving, away from overheads and lines, I can't imagine what would change that would merit going through a flow check every five minutes. Shoot, if I had two deco bottles, doing a flow check every five minutes would probably use up the vast majority of my dive!

Hope Richard sees this too so I don't have to post a couple of times.

Remember how the great thing about DIR is that you have a universal system that applies to all diving with very few changes? I am suggesting this be applied to your flow checks as well. To me, I don't have to worry about what environment I am in, or whether I am carrying multiple bottles or just my back gas. Nothing changes whether my dive is 50' or 200'. My learned muscle memory and procedures are the same. My flow checks are ingrained habit just like pilots have a systematic means of checking their instruments. I want to learn a procedure that is equally applicable to wrecks or open water diving, or I assume caves. (not a cave diver) My flow check with back gas takes about 5-7 seconds and I don't stop what I am doing to do it. Keep on scootering if you are scootering. Add some seconds for checking deco bottles. They have the strangest way of becoming uncharged, at which time, further bumping and clanging can loosen the first stage, which can then cause some issues when you do charge that bottle. (potential extruded o-ring?) I am not one for drama when I am diving and charging your 50 bottle in a ripping current to discover that your first stage came loose because it was uncharged and is now blowing gasis a bit more drama than I like. No question that a three bottle dive is not the same things as a nice 100' recreational dive however, l would again bring up the "learn it once, learn it right" and not have to mess around with it anymore approach that I find sooooo appealing about DIR.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Every 5 minutes is a lot but like you said, it only takes a couple of seconds to check stages or deco cylinders. If one wants to check that often, then it's no big deal. Not something I do but it's not a deal breaker.

Personally I'll check prior to, or during the descent to make sure that the entry didn't muck things up. After that unless something happens, then I usually don't unless we've done a lot of scootering.

That's my feeling, too. If I haven't hit anything or manipulated any valves, why would my valves be anywhere other than where I put them? In open water diving, away from overheads and lines, I can't imagine what would change that would merit going through a flow check every five minutes.

Scootering I suppose. Not so much for backgas but certainly for deco or stage cylinders.

Shoot, if I had two deco bottles, doing a flow check every five minutes would probably use up the vast majority of my dive!

You're kidding, right?

Well, there are some things I do as routine, and other things that I do when conditions trigger a response. Touching the ceiling triggers a flow check, but swimming along in the water doesn't. I think it's important to recognize when you have done something, or when you are in an environment that threatens your valves, and there you need to check them. But in big spaces or open water, how often are your valves going to be any way but where you left them?

I don't say this with respect to deco cylinders. I have no training there, and maybe one needs to check them more often, since the second stages are susceptible to being bumped or jarred, and releasing the charged gas.

With all enormous respect for your additional training and experience, Bismarck, isn't checking your backgas valves every five minutes, whether you need to or not, not the act of a thinking diver?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom