Heard Everything now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, while I have now grown to expect to read articles which are sometimes severely flawed when describing Scuba Diving. Unfortunately, I was not aware that I had not yet reached the LOW. There is a website which I read a fair bit as a way of finding out (with a grain of salt) what is happening. It is "CDNN - Cyber Diver News Network". They are usually no worse than any other paper but the article found here makes me question whether I want to stop reading their pages or to never dive with Scuba Shack in Pensecola. Here is an excerpt from the article about diving the Oriskany which leaves me in awe:

"People just had to touch it," said Eilene Beard, Scuba Shack co-owner. "And we'd say, 'OK, bounce down there and touch it and get back up here so you don't use all your nitrogen.' "

I have bolded the part that I love the most. I am certain it was not in fact a direct quote from Eilene Beard, or so I really hope.

I have realized (giving Eilene the benefit of the doubt) that we will likely never find the bottom (of how inaccurately something will be quoted or reported) when it comes to the news.

OK, while I have now grown to expect to read articles which are sometimes severely flawed when describing Scuba Diving. Unfortunately, I was not aware that I had not yet reached the LOW. There is a website which I read a fair bit as a way of finding out (with a grain of salt) what is happening. It is "CDNN - Cyber Diver News Network". They are usually no worse than any other paper but the article found .

Keep reading from that cr@p. You have not yet "heard everything now". CDNN is known for putting out new "everything" quite often, they are prime purveyors of it. :dunce:

This I agree with however there is nothing else that I have ever found that has any relevance to diving other than periodic threads on SB. From a worldwide standpoint, there really is nothing so I go to the "National Enquirer" because it is all that is available. I was just amazed that someone would either say that or lie and go to print with it.

CDNN = National Enquirer of Scuba

Probably meant Nitrox. Anyway, what's the difference between 136 and 145 feet except 9 feet? If I was paying to dive the deck and they told me I'd have to stop at 130 I'd tell them to ......and go out with another outfit.

"People just had to touch it," said Eilene Beard, Scuba Shack co-owner. "And we'd say, 'OK, bounce down there and touch it and get back up here so you don't use all your nitrogen.' "

Wow... that's as cool as the History Channel program that stated that because of the lack of oxygen at the deep level (150 feet) they were diving the divers had to be careful of their time so they didn't get "nitrogen psychosis"... which could be deadly... :rofl3: :rofl3:

I wouldn't call them the National Enquirer. They're more like a British tabloid. Lots of true (or mostly true) stories, albeit usually with a distinct spin, and occasionally something made up out of whole cloth.

File the link somewhere between "grain of salt" and "...but verify".

It looks like our own PNJ picked up the link and ran with it on the front page. This morning, rather than on the porch like usual, the paper landed a few steps down from my front porch, making it a riskier fetch. But I just had to touch it so I could read what a damn slow newsday Pensacola was having.

Riskier Oriskany | pnj.com | Pensacola News Journal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom