GUE introducing learn to dive.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found this on a comercial website from australia: What courses do GUE offer?

The structure of GUE training is as follows:

* Recreational Diver Level 1 and 2 (beginner and advanced)
o Training includes a heavy emphasis on fundamental skills
o Level 1 training includes Nitrox; level 2 includes Helium
* GUE Fundamentals
o Designed to shore up weakness in fundamental skills
o Pre-requisite class for Cave and Tech classes

Found here : Learn to Scuba Dive Safely with Global Underwater Explorers (GUE)

Can't verify anything. . .

I also see that the Rec 1 is equivalent to Fundies . . .

I found this on a comercial website from australia: What courses do GUE offer?..... . .

thats Liam at Bondi Dive - a very nice man and the only instructor in sydney (we have 3 GUE instructors down here, 2 are in melbourne)

Do they mean 8-10 full days?

It's interesting that that list of Fundies requirements doesn't include doing an unconscious diver rescue, because I do believe that is one of the things that was added when the class was lengthened a couple of years ago.

I think the idea is that the Rec 1 class is designed to take a non-diver and end them up with Fundies level skills in a single tank. Fundies is designed to take certified divers and bring them to the same skill level. Fundies tech pass is the gateway to GUE technical classes. I don't know what GUE OW students will have to do to go on to GUE technical classes -- whether they will have to take Fundies, or whether a checkout dive will suffice, or what is planned. Maybe somebody who attended the conference can weigh in here.

I don't know what GUE OW students will have to do to go on to GUE technical classes -- whether they will have to take Fundies, or whether a checkout dive will suffice, or what is planned. Maybe somebody who attended the conference can weigh in here.

My recollection from previous gossip/hearsay of questionable authority was that GUE OW students wouldn't have to take Fundies to move on to technical training (but may need to have passed OW2 or 3 first). It would make sense if GUE OW students are to be trained to Fundies-equivalent skill level in the first place.

Do they mean 8-10 full days?

I think it would take at least 10 full days to accomplish what they are covering.

Im defintely interested to see how this turns out. Im just not sure theres a big enough market for divers just getting started in diving, knowing absolutely notthing about it. I can see divers doing this if they have gue friends/family but otherwise we will see.

Most of this is already taught in YMCA ow class. And 8,10 full days sounds about right. 5-8 weeks 2 days a week for 2-4 hours per class. Except for nitrox which is currently being reviewed under the new agency standards. But based on the number of students we get I see a real market for those who want to become divers as opposed to underwater tourists. The only thing would be the limited number of gue instructors.

My recollection from previous gossip/hearsay of questionable authority was that GUE OW students wouldn't have to take Fundies to move on to technical training (but may need to have passed OW2 or 3 first). It would make sense if GUE OW students are to be trained to Fundies-equivalent skill level in the first place.

You are correct.

It would make sense if GUE OW students are to be trained to Fundies-equivalent skill level in the first place.

Sounds like a nice idea, but almost by definition a newly certified Rec-1 diver will not have the same skill level as someone who was PADI/NAUI/Whatever OW certified, did a bunch of diving, then came to the Dark Side and passed Fundies.

So what happens to the large percent of students who don't pass GUE Rec-1? (After they're done pi$$ing and moaning here that they "signed up for a diving class in order to go diving on their honeymoon" and now they failed to get a card and can't go diving.) Will GUE issue a "Rec 1 - Provisional" card?

The largest segment of OW cert divers show up at an LDS or resort unable to tell their left fin from their right, and are happy to finish their OW course not much better off, but with a card in hand so they can go look at pretty fishies once a year. Not sure how many of them will be happy to have failed OW because they couldn't shoot a bag while maintaining perfect horizontal trim and bouyancy from mid-water while back-kicking.

I guess maybe it's a good idea for those people (you see them here frequently) who say "never been diving before but I want to get certified and become a tech diver and ultimately teach full cave with trimix on a rebreather" but not really sure that's a sufficient market segment to warrant offering the course.

Be interesting to see where it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom