Defective BCD in Confined Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would never happen at our LDS.

My suggestion is to never go back to this shop and make sure that anyone you meet does not go to it. If what you say is true, this place should be shut down by those regulating its certification. However, it sounds like its just a matter of time until it self destructs.

My son is a PADI Instructor and he "forbids" that I ever go to the shop in Israel that certified him as an instructor. It was a great PADI 5 Star when I first went to it, but that was years ago. After he saw the inner workings and the increasing difficulties (including safety concerns) brought on by the aging and absentee owner, he left it for another shop. It did cost him financially, but he was not the first nor the last to leave.

If I saw this happening to our LDS - I would leave it as well.

drdaddy

Sixgears,

Glad to see you've found a reputable LDS to spend your hard earned money with. When I started inquiring into SCUBA, I didn't get the good vibes from some of the shops (too many requirements, exceptions, blah, blah, blah). Then I came up to this tiny shop in Redondo Beach, California (Sea D Sea). The owner/operator gave me his brochure which shows what costed what and which discounts I am entitled to if I were to buy basic gears from him. One year and several thousand dollars later (plus three referrals for my coworkers), we're both happy individuals.

I am really lucky with my LDS - not only does it have the best instructors, DMs and sales people you could ever ask for, they always keep their equipment in great condition - the shop is also located in the building I work in :)

Sounds like a less than ideal situation. I too offer a discounted course fee to my students who buy mask, fins, snorkle, and boots, but I Always quote my full, undiscounted price and then tell them they can get xxx discount if they buy a,b,c.
Here in Ny we have entertained the idea of changing our pricing structure.WHat the OP experienced is a big problem..What we are thinking of is to raise the price of an ow class by $100. So from $269. to $369..Thats for academics and confined water.When the prospective student signs up we hand them a non transferable gift certificate for $100. that can be applied towards personal gear only, for that individual . We hope that will prevent issues of gear purchased elsewhere.
This way the LDS either makes the $100. profit that they would make on personal gear sales if student does not purchase gear from LDS or makes the sale of personal gear. This has NOT been instituted yet, and may not be institueted, but is only an idea to answer issues of gear being purchased online/elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom