Ear Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tried the 'piston' technique today in my last OW dive, Soooooo great..very smooth method rather than stressing myself about how hard should i blow not to hurt myself, i just stayed On ur tips guys and it really worked great all the way...Again Thank You Sb people! Be safe.

I am newly certified after a two week course and I am already hooked. I can't wait for my first ocean dives in Aruba next week and I'm already planning ahead for the next and the next......

But it seems the only issue I have at this point, after several pool sessions and six lake dives is that I have a lot of trouble with water in my ears. I've always had the problem, being a life long swimmer, I've had a lot of swimmers ear trouble for some reason, but they usually clear up within a day or two with no further problems. But with diving it seems to be amplified.

Luckily this doesn't seem to cause much of an issue with equalization when I am in the water, but as soon as I am out my ears are sore and feel blocked. My last lake dive was Sunday morning and here it is now Tuesday night and one of my ears is still full of water and slightly sore (mostly from me trying every trick I know to get the water out - to no avail). My main concern right now is that I am supposed to be diving Aruba in ten days and I am afraid I will still have this blocked ear trouble and that it will eventually lead to problems with equalization and/or infection.

So I would really like to hear from experienced divers 1. How do you take care of ears that have taken on too much water - i.e. how do you clear them and 2. Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the first place?

Thanks!
~Christy

I dive with pro-plugs and couldn't immagine diving without them. I have a similar problem to yours... get water in my ears constantly... as soon as I submerge my head, I get water in my ears! Hell, sometimes even in the shower I end up with water in my ears.

I also had some problems equalizing during my pool sessions...

My instructor had me try pro-plugs and both problems instantly disappeared. After getting comfortable equalizing, I tried another pool dive without the plugs, and again had the same trouble. Threw them in, and bingo!

Give them a shot... they are vented ear plugs with this one way valve thingy that allows you to equalize while keeping water out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom