What type of boat for diving/spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fivehole

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So looking to purchase an under 5K boat for spearfishing / diving off shore. I never owned a boat before and looking for advice of the best type of boat and suggestions. Im taking the boating skills and seamanship 13week class from the Coast Guard Portland division in January. But with the economy it seems like a lot of inventory is on the market these days.

Im in Portland, Oregon

Anything that floats works in calm water. Something with a v-hall for rougher water. 16ft for starter and up from there works fine. It really depends on how many people are going with you diving to how much room you will want for space on the boat. Lower gun rails are nice for calm water and climbing over the sides. Higher for rougher water don't want to sink ya know. Open bow is nice as it opens up more room on the boat but in rough water those who are sitting up front will be stuffed to the back of the boat. Good that you are taking the safety course but you can take the online course and take the test for $10. This will make you legal anywhere in the Sound. I have my card. Once you get your boat and decide to go boating out on the Sound don't forget to take a look at the charts or topo map for the area you will be boating in as with tide changes so what was safe at high tide may not be so at low tide. No fun running aground. And don't think for a moment it doesn't happen it does. Also always be aware that the water temp in the Sound is very cold even in the summer. All this applies to off shore as well. Hope this helps.

thanks,
does an I/O take that much space on the back deck for a 20'-26' boat? Is there enough space to dive off with the motor hatch back there?:confused::confused:

Depends on how many people will be on board. And how much equipment you have to take for the amount of diving you will be doing that day. Sometimes the hatch cover is nice when gearing up or after the dive kind of makes a plat form to work off of. But if you need space you need space which has always been the case for me. So for me the motor has got to go out the back. But then I'm partial to outboards anyway just for the fact if you have to work on or replace it's just easier. The age old argument.

Back
Top Bottom