SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a SR1, and you experience the enviromental seal break, the regulator needs to be returned to Sherwood. They have corrected the problem and will fix your regulator free of charge.

The problem occured in the first series of regulators, typically within the first 10-15 dives. What has happen is the enviromental seal broke, but the 1st stage works fine, but is no longer enviromentally sealed. The manufacturing problem has been corrected. If you own one, and are concerned, I would contact your LDS and let them know about your concerns. This reg breathes like a dream and if you have more than 25 dives on your reg, or have a newer model, you are safe from this problem.

Alright I went diving in Lake Travis by Austin,tx this weekend. Great place if you don't want to see anything while diving. LOL!!!! I went down to 120' and no problems. I took my pony bottle just in case LOL!!! Ofcourse when I first bought them I didn't have any problems so I'm going diving again this weekend. So far so good. I really hope I don't have any other issues cuz I really like these regs.

I bought a SR1 in September based on the reviews and recommendations from friends. I have been diving in the Caribbean on Sherwood equipment for the past few years. The SR1 immediately malfunctioned as described. I was diving with the owner of my local shop and he mentioned that he had seen this before.

Back it went to Sherwood and when it returned (repair, not replacement), the same symptoms appeared. Additonally, the second stage was loose so it seems (though unverified) that the testing process was a bit incomplete.

Back it went again and when returned - the notes indicated 'adjustment to second stage' - nothing about the real issue and the same problem presented itself.

I have asked for it not to come back to me. I am quite disappointed in a new regulator with a known problem being repaired and not replaced. I had high hopes for this but have decided to go elsewhere. For a manufacturer, that is, as my dealer has been more than accomodating on this and, honestly, he is a bit embarassed by the issue.

My bottom line is that I can't feel comfortable with this product. I certainly don't want to be at depth and have concerns, no matter how small, that might distract me. I have been through 'equipment malfunctions' (not the Janet Jackson kind) and I am a tad too old for that now. I realize there are no guarantees with some other brand but peace of mind goes a long way to an enjoyable dive.

As always, YMMV and others may have different and better experiences with this.

I have been happy with mine so far, but I confess, I do inspect it fairly nervously before each dive. Hopefully that will wear off with time (the nervousness, not the inspections).

I have been happy with mine so far, but I confess, I do inspect it fairly nervously before each dive. Hopefully that will wear off with time (the nervousness, not the inspections).

I am sure I would have been happy with the ultimate performance and I may still get one once the bugs are worked out but not at this time.

I am sure I would have been happy with the ultimate performance and I may still get one once the bugs are worked out but not at this time.

Yeah, I just decided to take a "qualified risk". The prices are so low at the moment (presumably because of the bad publicity surrounding the bugs) that I decided to take a chance on one. Mind you, I dive in warm clear (and shallow) Caribbean waters - I am not sure if I would take that chance if I lived somewhere else in the world with more challenging conditions. So far it looks like I have been lucky (touch wood).

I'd be gettin my money back or some brand new regs at the least. I hope my regs don't act up again. Hope you get it worked out.

I'm sorry to report that I had problems once again with my new SRI on my trip back to Cozumel.

What happened this time?

The rubber thing on top blew up or the turret unscrwed?

It was the seal again. This time before my second dive.Did not blow but blew up the size of a golf ball and leaked somewhere.
I have had conversations with the Sherwood reps and I am coming to understand the problem better. The response from Sherwood and the local dive shop has been excellent. This is indeed an excellent reg to dive with...very smooth except the obvious nuisance leak or Pop.
It was not a safety issue for me as I did indeed dive with it the rest of my trip and it was very nice to dive with although I was concerned as to what would happen each time the air tank was opened

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom