How to know you've found a good Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jurichar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I finally figured out the difference between a good boat divemaster and a GREAT divemaster....well maybe not great...but definatly devoted.

Me and a buddy were out on a private spearfishing charter today. We found a spot that was marking a lot of activity on a small wreck at 110 ft; so the DM did a drop to try to tie in. After about 45 mintues we started getting a little worried about the guy, considering a normal tie-it takes about 10 mintutes TOPS from boat to ladder. Eventually he comes back up and told his story... Apparently he got carried a little bit off the wreck due to surface current and when he got to the bottom the vis was only about 5 foot so he had no idea where the wreck was at, but there was a ton of fish around. So anway, he ended up spending so long looking for a tie in point that he went into deco and had to do a 15 deco stop!!!!!!!!!!

Now that some serious service! going into deco on a tie-in so your customers can get a good drop and score some decent fish is above the call off duty! That beats putting my fins on ANY day! :D

Anyone else have any stories about DM's that exceeded the call of duty?!?

I am not worthy....

Had a DM on two tank boat dive... The last dive was so great that the DM suggested a 3rd dive at the same site at no cost. Could be that the DM wanted to dive again as well but with more than 2000 dives I would be surprised. Have never had that happen before.

If the DM got you ALL back to the boat without getting lost and no one was out of air he/she's a good one.

The DM I am pretty loyal to is a cool dude. He is also my instructor for my advanced classes as well as instructor training in the future. He is one of the few instructor instructors around this area.

I can call or email him any time and he has a legit answer. Never to busy to talk scuba or share his knowledge.

Happy I found him.

If the DM got you ALL back to the boat without getting lost and no one was out of air he/she's a good one.

I agree on this point.

While no-one can completely prepare for each dive or every condition, going into deco on a tie-in doesn't exactly make someone a good divemaster. In my view it shows a need to study up on navigation, currents and how they change with depth, and to be as familiar as possible with any dive sites to be guided or work as a DM for. Nobody's perfect, but there is no reason to go into deco for a tie-in, especially in poor and unfamiliar conditions.

The other thing I question is the wisdom of spearfishing with other divers in only 5 feet of visibility.

A good DM is one who does the best he can to make every dive safe and enjoyable, has sound judgment, and is familiar with the dive sites.

I finally figured out the difference between a good boat divemaster and a GREAT divemaster....well maybe not great...but definatly devoted.

Me and a buddy were out on a private spearfishing charter today. We found a spot that was marking a lot of activity on a small wreck at 110 ft; so the DM did a drop to try to tie in. After about 45 mintues we started getting a little worried about the guy, considering a normal tie-it takes about 10 mintutes TOPS from boat to ladder. Eventually he comes back up and told his story... Apparently he got carried a little bit off the wreck due to surface current and when he got to the bottom the vis was only about 5 foot so he had no idea where the wreck was at, but there was a ton of fish around. So anway, he ended up spending so long looking for a tie in point that he went into deco and had to do a 15 deco stop!!!!!!!!!!

Now that some serious service! going into deco on a tie-in so your customers can get a good drop and score some decent fish is above the call off duty! That beats putting my fins on ANY day! :D

Anyone else have any stories about DM's that exceeded the call of duty?!?

So let me see if I can summarize this correct....he misjudged the current, couldn't navigate to the wreck in a reasonable amount of time and instead of calling it and going to another dive site, on (presumably) a recreational profile he went into deco mode accidentally and then apparently endorsed shooting very sharp, pointy objects around at fish while other divers are in the water with vis only being 5 feet?

**** man, that's a great DM alright. What's the outfit he works with? I want to dive with someone that bad ass...anyone who can piss on safety and common sense that easily has got to be a dive god of epic proportions!

I agree on this point.

...spearfishing with other divers in only 5 feet of visibility.

:rofl3:

now THAT will make a good Saturday Night Live skit!!

Back
Top Bottom