Our first trip to Curacao is coming up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Rick

New
Reaction score
...and we are very excited! We're both AOW divers who will be staying at the Royal Sea Aquarium from 11/1 to 11/8 in need of some good advice on dive operators. As this is our first trip to the island, we're looking for a guided group that will still let us dive our own profiles. I like the idea of The Dive Bus but am a little nervous about how I'm going to get both sets of equipment out to the shore; my wife is a petite little thing, so I'll be lugging her tank as well as mine and the camera. Also, after lurking on this site for a while, I've learned that some of the best sites are best reached by boat.

I know that Ocean Encounters is at the RSA, but I've read some reviews that suggest that they have something of a cattle car approach and will insist on herding us with the group; if my impression is wrong, I'd like to hear otherwise. From where we are staying, could we still dive with All West or Easy Divers? Or should we go with Ocean Encounters? Would Ocean Encounters West be a better choice for us (we've got a rental car, how long of a drive would it be?)? Or The Dive Bus? Or someone else?

Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Staying where you are, Easy Divers is too far to be a practical daily option and "All West Diving" is even further. And All West has actually been Ocean Encounters West for at least a few years now.

I have not dove with the main Ocean Encounters op in a really long time so I'm not sure if they actually herd people on dives - but there are good odds it will be a full boat at the least. Ocean Encounters West will usually be less cattle-ish than the main op. It's well worth a day trip to take the boat from the west end, do a few shore dives from their dock, and see the other end of the island. OE runs a bus down there 1-2 times a week to do the boat from there, and at least the day we were there that they came they packed the boat and it was a zoo. And the DMs they brought along did seem to be more of the herd mentality, the West end folks were much more laid back.

From what I've heard about the Dive Bus I'm guessing they would help you if needed.

.. I like the idea of The Dive Bus but am a little nervous about how I'm going to get both sets of equipment out to the shore; my wife is a petite little thing, so I'll be lugging her tank as well as mine and the camera.
Thanks

Dr Rick
Definitely check out the Dive Bus. Most of the set up areas are so close to the entry point and helping the customer is where they excel. Very rarely do you carry equip. more than a few yards (sometimes less than a few feet!). Most sites the Bus can drop the equipment right at the entry point. On a shore dive to the Superior Producer which is one of the few dives there with a moderate surf entry,(my wife's first surf entry) Mark actually carried my wife's gear past the breakers so she wouldn't have to cross the rocks and ironshore with the gear on!! Awesome people, heaps of fun, and can't possibly be more helpful trying to make things easier for their divers. Email Suzy www.the-dive-bus.com with your concerns and she can advise you on anything about the island. Even if you don't dive with them, stop at the hut (just up the road before you get to the Seaquarium) for laughs and great conversation. What ever way you decide, I'm sure you'll have a ball in Curacao.:cool2:
Tom & Isabelle

If you've got a rental car, go up to the West End one day on your own and go out with OE West. On the days that they bring divers up from Willemstad, it's a zoo up there, but on the other days, it will be much quieter, especially at this time of year. OE West is located at the beach by the Lodge Kura Hulanda. It's a beautiful place to hang out for the day. There's a nice open air restaurant at the hotel and a sandwich place down by the beach. You can call them and get their boat dive schedule before you come up, or you can just do a couple of shore dives there on their nice house reef. Try to come up on a day that they are doing Watamula - it's a 5 minute ride from the dock and is one of the best dives on the island. I think the only other op that does it is Sunset Waters - everyone else is too far away.

yes, driving yourself to OEW on a day the boat is doing Watamula, but not getting a busload of people from the east op, is the way to go. Definitely call ahead and make reservations as sometimes they have so few customers they don't run the boat, or other things happen and they don't run the boat.

Hi Dr. Rick,

I am working for All West Apartments and Ocean Encounters West at Westpoint, and I would like to make my own statement about the comments of our fellow SB members:

First of all, it is true that OE at the Sea Aquarium is a fairly big operation, and they often have full boats (not to bad for business, by any means). I went to work with them for one day, and I remember that the divemaster in charge gave a briefing also for people who didn't want to follow the group. So I guess after all you get what you ask for.

Second, we hardly ever get "busloads" from our colleagues in town here at Ocean Encounters West. Nowadays, their customers just make a reservation for the boat dives at our place and drive here on their own. All the dives are operated with our boats and our divemasters.

As far as I can see, practically all SB members who came diving with us have been very satisfied with dive sites and service offered. So feel very welcome to come out one day and build your own opinion. For sure, Watamula is one of the Top 2 dive sites on the island (my personal favourite is Rediho City, we do it on Mondays).

Best regards from Curacao
Andreas

...and we are very excited! We're both AOW divers who will be staying at the Royal Sea Aquarium from 11/1 to 11/8 in need of some good advice on dive operators. As this is our first trip to the island, we're looking for a guided group that will still let us dive our own profiles. I like the idea of The Dive Bus but am a little nervous about how I'm going to get both sets of equipment out to the shore; my wife is a petite little thing, so I'll be lugging her tank as well as mine and the camera. Also, after lurking on this site for a while, I've learned that some of the best sites are best reached by boat.

I know that Ocean Encounters is at the RSA, but I've read some reviews that suggest that they have something of a cattle car approach and will insist on herding us with the group; if my impression is wrong, I'd like to hear otherwise. From where we are staying, could we still dive with All West or Easy Divers? Or should we go with Ocean Encounters? Would Ocean Encounters West be a better choice for us (we've got a rental car, how long of a drive would it be?)? Or The Dive Bus? Or someone else?

Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

The Dive Bus will definitely be your best bet on the east side. Especially if you're experienced and like diversity they will take you to the best places and set up a plan together with you.
Have fun! :D

I have no experience with Ocean Encounters in town because we never stay or dive in Willemstad. However, for anyone going up to the West End for the day or staying up there, I highly recommend Ocean Encounters West. Nice people, nice boat, nice facilities, great house reef.

Andreas - We'll be in Curacao next week (at Habitat) and are thinking about renting a car for a few days. If we do, we'll definitely arrange to do a few dives with you. We stayed at the Lodge Kura Hulanda two years ago and loved it, but just couldn't swing their rates this time. Do you still have those scooters to rent? My husband had a great time with one of them last time.

Also, I was wondering if you can give us an update on the storm damage in your area on the reefs and whether there was any damage to your dock/facilities. We are expecting some sand on the reef, knocked over sponges, etc, but are hoping it isn't too bad especially as you get deeper.

Well let me know when yr here and maybe I can help you carry some gear too,.

Don

Hey, Don; is that a genuine offer? I'll spring for the evening cocktails/beer if it is. :D

Thanks everyone for all the great advice; I really appreciate it. Andreas, you've really got my interest piqued; I'll have to talk it over with the lil' lady, but I'm hoping we'll get in at least one day with you.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has some thoughts or ideas (or an offer to help me schlep my wife's gear around), please post.

Only 11 more days to go...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom