Lake Lanier Van Pugh dive Sunday 10-19-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiltwalker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys
We are heading over to Van Pugh South maybe this week. It is just north a couple miles from Lake Lanier Islands. let me know if anybody is interested. It’s a sandy bottom and boats hang out there during the summer so we could be in for some treasure hunting.

Come on by, it will be fun. The year is ticking away.
Stiltwalker :)

Last edited:
Hi Gregordo
Go up 985 to exit 8 and turn left to Lanier. When you get to Mcever turn Rt and go about 2-3 miles. At the first light you come to (I don’t know the road) there will be a sign that says Van Pugh. Turn left and follow it to the fork. Make a RT and follow the signs to Van Pugh south. It’s a nice cove with a sandy bottom. Pick up a lake map from any store and it will help find all the parks. Since all the boat ramps are just about closed, hit those areas for things that fall off boats when they take off.

Go have some fun :)

Went for a nice dive today with my son Danny, we found a bottle of Boons Farm Wine (2007 unopened). We found a pair of Fendi sunglasses (about $200.00 + new) and a golf ball. We went to about 25' and the vise was about 10' + in some areas. When we found the middle of the cove there was a large long hole, I believe they cut when making the lake and they filled it with trees. We checked it out for a while but by then we were getting cold. We headed back to shore and finished the dive. In all about a 45 min dive. The lake is cooling down so if you want to dive Lanier better do it soon or have some mill around you. I need a 7 mill. I was cold with a 3 mill long and a 3-mill shorty on top. We hope to hit the cove this weekend for a good dive Saturday and Sunday. Come out and see us if you in the area. Look for a 32’ cruiser named Island Time. It will have a large USA flag flying on the arch.

It was a great afternoon. :)
Stiltwalker
OKA
Carl

Great, Stilt. I've got to order another drysuit undergarment. The one I've got is way too bulky. It will take much too many weights to sink it. When I get the new one in the next week or two, I'll join you some Sunday afternoon.

. Sounds great Borg
One problem is that I was cold on the last dive and with the weather dipping into the low 30s this week at night I don’t know if I will be diving any more this year. I need to get a 7 mill small. When is your new insolated coming? If soon I might be able to squeeze one more dive in.

It will be in about 2 weeks. This time of the year a drysuit really comes into it's own! A 7mm will keep you alot warmer, but when it's Dec. and Jan. at Lanier, it'll let you stay a little longer in the water, but that's about all.

Danny wants a dry suit bad. He keeps saying that Christmas is just around the bend. I don't know. That’s allot of cash for a 17 year old. Be sides, what about me???

Borg
I don't know, in two weeks I believe the cold will have set in at the rate the weather is changing. Now that the gas prices have changed I have been thinking about heading down to Fla for some real diving in like 30+ or more. That sounds like a good time since all I have never seen no more then 20' viz. Have you been in the water lately? It seams to be clearing up now that boat traffic has dropped a good bit.

I'll tell you what. See Howard over at Divers Supply in Doraville. They sell a NEXXUS Typhoon drysuit that you can get into for about $600-700. It's good starter drysuit. You can also pick up some GREAT deals on E-bay especially right now. Mine is a Pinnacle which costs alot more than that, but no where near a D.U.I. Those suits are around $2K!!!! You can get into a good dry suit for not a whole lot more than a good 7mm wet suit. It's the best investment in dive gear I've ever made!!!. When they need Bottom Dollar to get anchors un-trapped on the bottom this winter, you will be so thankful to be nice and toasty.

BORG,,,I noticed that you had a Bare Nex -Gen,,,,, can you tell me what you thought about it,pros,cons,,,I;m looking at a 07 and would like to know if its worth it or soemthing of comparable price that might be better,,,thanks

Back
Top Bottom