Saturday 10/18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

penywisexx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My Buddy and I are looking to dive Monterey on Saturday 10/18, we have never dove monterey and are looking for a dive buddy/guide or a boat dive. We want to do two dives if possible. If anybody is interested in leading/joining us please let me know. We'd love a boat dive and will pay for reasonable fuel costs if you have a boat. We are both somewhat new to diving.

Thanks!

Scott

I think I'll try to check it out if I don't hear anything else. Where is a good affordable place to rent gear, either in Santa Cruz or Monterey. Does the dive boat include tanks or would I need to rent two from a shop for the boat dive. How long is the trip and what time does the boat get back in?

Affordable is a bit relative, but I think a full set of rental gear with tanks is about $70 a day at Aquarius on Del Monte in Monterey. That's where I rented from, and where most of my rental-buddies get their stuff (partially because it also happens to be a really convenient place to meet up in the morning).

If you have a local dive shop, you may want to see if they have weekend-rental deals, so you don't have to worry about showing up at Monterey super-early to get the rental, and potentially rushing back before the end of the day to return it.

Monterey Express will provide tanks, unless you want to bring your own or LDS rentals.

We'll be out on the Monterey Express, morning trip. It's a good boat and I believe there is still room.

Hey, I'll be on the express as well, for the 8AM dive tomorrow. I'm hitting the road in about one hour to drive down.

Say hi on the boat tomorrow, ok? (I'm the one without a buddy. :))

We will most likely be on the afternoon boat, 8am is way too early to be awake. Do you know if any of the stores there rent underwater digital cameras. It'd be nice to rent a camera and get all of the gear at once.

Hey, I'll be on the express as well, for the 8AM dive tomorrow. I'm hitting the road in about one hour to drive down.

Say hi on the boat tomorrow, ok? (I'm the one without a buddy. :))

If history holds true lately, I'll be the one hanging over the side evacuating my muffins and coffee.

I don't know why, I've NEVER had an issue with sea sickness until the last two boat trips. :(

I'm also very prone to sea-sickness, and if I'm going out on a boat, or even if I'm shore-diving when the conditions call for swells of a short period and greater than ~10ft, I'll take one Dramamine tablet the night before, and one in the morning before gearing up. It seems to do the job (but when you don't get sick, can you really say it was because of the medicine?), but I think next time I might try the "crystallized ginger" treatment I've heard about recently.

I'm also very prone to sea-sickness, and if I'm going out on a boat, or even if I'm shore-diving when the conditions call for swells of a short period and greater than ~10ft, I'll take one Dramamine tablet the night before, and one in the morning before gearing up. It seems to do the job (but when you don't get sick, can you really say it was because of the medicine?), but I think next time I might try the "crystallized ginger" treatment I've heard about recently.

I don't have a problem with it per-se, it's only happened twice in many boat trips. But the fact that it's happened the last two times now has a mental component. Sort of a self fulfilling prophecy now.

Tell me about this crystallized ginger? Where do I get it, and what is the dose? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom