PNG Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

I'm plamnning a week trip to PNG during the Xmas week (8 days) this year. I'm from Spore and has twice weekly direct flights to PNG. As this is a short trip, I'd like to maximise my diving days but also dive the best sites. Pls advise which island should I go to? Thanks ..

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Loloata should be good at that time of year, and you won't need to do any flights within PNG which should give you more time to dive.

with Rueben, going anywhere else will cut your dive days by at least 2. Loloata is a diver findly spot with lots to see (can be some strong currents though). they will pick you directly from the airport.

with Rueben, going anywhere else will cut your dive days by at least 2. Loloata is a diver findly spot with lots to see (can be some strong currents though). they will pick you directly from the airport.

Thanks for the info.
Which island is recommended for best diving in PNG if I get to go on a longer trip (hopefully)? :D
Thanks ..

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Thanks for the info.
Which island is recommended for best diving in PNG if I get to go on a longer trip (hopefully)? :D
Thanks ..

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

I don't think there's one answer to that question. Tawali in Milne Bay gets great reviews. So does Walindi in Kimbe Bay. But you need to check with those more knowledgeable about weather patterns at those locations to make sure it would be a good time of year. Most people would say that a liveaboard is the best way to dive PNG. Beyond that, the various destinations offer different things. And different destinations work at different times of the year. I've always wanted to do one of the Golden Dawn's Eastern Fields trips. The time of year that you're going, this would be possible, but in another thread, I learned that the GD is out of the water for repairs.

I've been to Loloata, which is good. If you want really good then more time is needed. I especially can refer Walindi as I have been there. If you have even more time and want spectacular then StarDancer would be my recommendation with the Father's and Witu's for a destination area.
Golden Dawn sounds great too but the reports I've read lately are not as good as previous trips, maybe it's the time of year.
On board StarDancer
File0017-1.jpg

Sundown at Loloata
File0010.jpg

Diving near Father's/Witu's
File0395.jpg

File0372.jpg

File0020.jpg
File0019.jpg

File0014.jpg

File0012.jpg

File0007.jpg

File0006.jpg

File0005.jpg

File0003.jpg

File0018-1.jpg

Thanks for the info.
Thanks ..

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

12 days Go to either Walindi or on-board the Stardancer or Febrina. Diving is absolutely spectacular.

I have just returned from lissenung island resort in the Kavieng area, and I highly reccommend it , after diving sipadan and layang layang I thought I would be hardpressed to find a destination that would compare but I was wrong. The Island resort was beautiful , the operators and staff were friendly and very knowlegeable on the diving and the dive guides would ask before each dive what you wanted to see and would make sure your every wish was forfilled. The diving was amazing , 30m - 50m viz everyday, pelagics galore! From wide angle to macro and everything in between, WW2 wrecks as well. This place would satisfy any divers cravings.

The current situation is that most resorts in PNG are fully booked for Dec. Only Loloata Resort is available. Star Dancer's schedule does not fit my plan so I'd have to give PNG a miss this time round.

Thanks so much for the useful info.

Caymaniac, nice photos. thanks for sharing.

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

The current situation is that most resorts in PNG are fully booked for Dec. Only Loloata Resort is available. Star Dancer's schedule does not fit my plan so I'd have to give PNG a miss this time round.

Thanks so much for the useful info.

Caymaniac, nice photos. thanks for sharing.

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

I think maybe we've all given the impression that Loloata is shabby diving. I don't think that's the case. Mind you, I haven't dived there but I've heard very good things about the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom