Underwhelmed by Oahu Dive Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kudos for admitting your mistake instead of trying to make stuff up/trying to cover it up...
Agreed!

Screw ups and mistakes are part and parcel to running any business. What separates the good business from the mediocre ones is the willingness to admit them, ability to fix the problems and trying hard not to repeat them. Thank you DiamondHeadDiver. When I return to Oahu, I’ll be sure and try you guys out.

Wow! No defensive comments that try to blame the diver. That is so refreshing you have just moved onto my Will Dive With You list for my next trip.

Screw ups and mistakes are part and parcel to running any business. What separates the good business from the mediocre ones is the willingness to admit them, ability to fix the problems and trying hard not to repeat them.

I've also got to say that I'm very impressed by the response from Diamond Head Divers.

Obviously a bad day at Diamond Head. We all have them.

However, it is equally as obvious, they acknowledge it and are working to improve because of it. That is the mark of a true professional.

No harm; no foul in my book!

Bubblin_girl, thoughts?

jcf

////

I sometimes find that in the rush to make everyone happy all of the time I skip a site briefing or give a less than complete boat briefing. What makes it difficult is that our job is one of routine.

It shows a great deal of spine to be able to re-evaluate your operation and not pin the blame on the diver. I know that when someone doesn't have a good time with us I do my best to identify the issue, communicate the concern of the diver to the staff and of course make changes to fix the situation.

Kudos to DHD. We are all in this together folks and if you aren't having fun diving anymore remind yourself that your diving clients are taking YOU out diving! If you can't come off friendly and have a good time whilst running "the show" then the Burger King option might be a good one.

Finally, it is posts like this that help our local Dive Operators improve our level of customer service and make the Oahu Dive Experience one that will be remembered and talked about for years to come!

Mahalo Nui to DHD for their response....

G

Found Island Divers....Had a great time....OUTSTANDING Operation. Laid back but very professional, just the way I like it. The primary dive boat the 50' Sea Fox that is docked right out side the store was a comfortable dive platform. Will go back out with them again.
I second that for IDH. They are my local shop and are a very easy going group.

Can't wait to get this heart thing fixed to get out with them again.

My duties as the Captain of the boat don't allow a lot of time to interact with customers and be the life of the party
Good reply, and I agree with the above 100%. Some of the best dive boat captains I have been around are the most silent, aloof characters you'll ever find, but they sure could skipper the boat nice. Their job is the safety of the passengers and crew, and getting the boat back in one piece.

I'd never expect a captain to join in on the festivities. Now, the DM better be a good entertainer!

DHD, give yourself a Shaka, brah! That kind of sincerity and professionalism is rare in the business world and will put your company on my To-dive list once I return from my business trip.

Peace,
Greg

While it is nice that the owner is addressing the issue, this is one consumer who wouldn't be so quick to give him a pass. To me the attitude of everyone associated with the business that day doesn't give me confidence that I would risk a single day of an 8 day vacation on again.

The degree of information (read lack there of) and handling of the situations with the consumer is quite troubling.

From someone who's worked in the customer service industry (in several different types of jobs), information is key and "I don't know" by itself is the most negative thing that anyone can tell a customer. "I don't care either" and "I'm not going to do anything about it " automatically gets read into the exchange! I always tell my people that they need to qualify the statement with why (if there is a legitimate reason) and what you're going to do to get the info or when the consumer can get the info. It gets even worse when someone who doesn't know says "Dunno". Now you have incompetence read into the exchange.

It is one thing to give truly competent people latitude to do their jobs, but here it sounds like you may have not even vetted your people well. The attitude of your workers doesn't seem to be encouraging either.

Yes, it is your job to drive the boat and you may not have very much time to interact with your customers during the charter, but you should be taking the time out to hire well and train your workers to be the kind of frontline people who represent your business properly. If you cant, then you need to hire those who can and will.

I hope for your sake, you do really take the steps to do better and attract those dollars that are votes in our free market economy. Lord knows, we need as many dive shops here as we can possibly get!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom