Rant: Why do so many locals insist on backing into parking spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't back in because it is harder to remove my BP/W and split fins from the trunk without tangling my long hose while wearing my snorkel when going to my local DIR group!

On another note, I'd rather fight traffic in sunny 80 degree weather instead of the 30-50 degree rain/snow I will face for the next 7 months here in Pittsburgh, PA. I think that's why there are only 4 other divers on the buddy locator within 100 miles of me!! I need to go South.

I agree that backing into the space and pulling out is safer for traditional parking lots with perpendicular spaces. But many parking lots have angled spaces and one way aisles. Maybe the concept hasn't made it's way to Hawaii yet.

Thinking off the top of my head, I can't easily identify a lot of parking lots that I frequent that have angled spaces and one way aisles.

Actually, I just noticed a couple weeks ago that the spaces at one of the shopping malls that used to have angled spaces redid the striping, so now the spaces are less angled (closer to perpendicular) and much narrower.

Honolulu is just really congested with cars. It's not surprising the parking lots try to squeeze in as many spaces as possible by sizing them at the bare regulated minimum.

Why does it really matter? You're either going to have to wait for them while they back in or wait for them while they back out! What's the big deal! As they say here, "Cool your jets! This ain't the mainland! Live Aloha!"

Honolulu is just really congested with cars. It's not surprising the parking lots try to squeeze in as many spaces as possible by sizing them at the bare regulated minimum.
Hmmm... hmmm.... do I see an entrepreneurial opportunity surfacing here??? Is much of the parking paid parking? Do you think going vertical might be a good business?
Rick

Hmmm... hmmm.... do I see an entrepreneurial opportunity surfacing here??? Is much of the parking paid parking? Do you think going vertical might be a good business?
Rick

"They paved Paradise, and put up a parking lot...ohhhhhhhh bah bah bah..."
Joni Mitchell, 1970 something, which I heard was about building Ala Moana shopping ctr and all the parking lots.
Anyway, give thanks you live in Hawaii or the US (not you Rick...the complainers). You don't know what traffic is. Try driving in Manila...hell, even Iloilo... or Bangkok if you want to see a real traffic jam and "crazy" driving.

What a funny thread! :D

I normally reverse into a parking spot - but I'm embarrassed if I don't nail it first time.

I've driven in Honolulu. It's frustrating. I can understand the OPs annoyance with folks who create even more holdups than are strictly necessary. However, I don't think it's really about backwards or forwards, I think it's just about competent or incompetent driving.

... give thanks you live in Hawaii ... Try driving in Manila...hell, even Iloilo... or Bangkok ...
Oh, Bangkok ain't all that bad... :) And don't leave (parts of) Hong Kong and Singapore off the list...
I'll never forget when my sister came to visit me in Belgium and I took her down to Paris for a visit; I thought she was going to wet her pants when I was maneuvering through the traffic in the roundabout at the Arch de Triomphe! Now *that* was some traffic!
:D
Rick

It's a different kind of driving and I think driving in the Philippines made me a better driver. It's easy to get lazy in the US because it's so structured. It can get slow, but wait for the lights and go. No thinking really involved.
But, in the Philippines, it's all judgement and a bit of "chicken", of course the bigger vehicle has the right of way. But in many intersections, where there are not "lanes" regardless of the paint, you have to pay very close attention and nose in, slowing the cross traffic, making eye contact with the driver of the vehicle you want to stop is imperative...he will give a subtle raise of the eyebrow, which means you're good to go... and shoot through. Controlled chaos is a good description.
One lane bridges....that's a wild one. There is no "taking turns" or alternating from each direction. It's whoever can get onto the bridge first. No one gets mad there...it's just the way they do it but it would cause gun fire in the US.

That biggest problem may be many drivers there didn't get their license in the US. You can come into the US and rent or drive a car with any license issued in the world I believe. I've driven there with Philippine, Malaysian and Belizean license. But, there is no drivers education in these countries. You can just go and pay, and you'll get your license. People have no clue about right of way etc when they come to the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom