Rant: Why do so many locals insist on backing into parking spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, go to work for a few hours and look what I miss.

For once in the history of scuba board, an argument not about snorkels, left post vs. right post. Long hose vs. short hose. Black vs Pink, but of all things 20 post in just under a few hours over how to park a car.

WOW, we all need to go dive this weekend! After safely backing into our parking spaces of course :)

Kenny

A pickup truck will actually turn sharper in reverse than going forward, at least my F-150 does. I can back into a spot that I otherwise wouldn't be able to get into. The big mirrors help me see where I'm going and I generally nail it the first time.

If the parking lot is tight, I can't get in straight going forward due to the turning radius, and have to go back and forth several times. There's a couple of places where I dive that have signs 'No Backing' and I always thought it was stupid. Who cares... If I hit someone, I'll deal with it. It's my problem. Why does this need to be regulated.

...I believe nearly 50% of the vehicles on our roads have at least one of those violations.
Nothing unique about that... California and Texas are probably higher, Alabama is certainly higher.
FWIW, I'd rather drive in Honolulu than Los Angeles, and I'd rather drive in Los Angeles than Naples Italy, and I'd rather drive in Naples than Paris France. Of the places I've had to drive, there's a long list worse than Oahu.
Personally I find pulling out of a parking spot a lot easier if I can drive forward rather than back out, so when it's convenient I'll back into the parking spot.
Rick

As another Smith system trained driver it is pretty clear why backing in is much safer than backing out. Trained to drive tractor trailers, but the reasoning is simple. It is not about backing in but backing out. Backing out of a parking spot into traffic can be dangerous. You could be driving completely blind depending on the relative sizes of your vehicle and the one parked beside you. Much safer to back in and drive out.

This is more about skill than which way you park. It takes about 2 seconds longer to back in than to drive in if you can drive with any competence.

Personally, I suspect it is some sort of local "I'm cool" stunt. Thanks for playing though, you don't live here either.

That's ridiculous.

As someone having been born, raised and spent about half of my adult life here, I guess I qualify as a local.

I haven't really noticed a disparate amount of Hawaii drivers backing into parking spaces. If I had to quantify a percentage, I'd say I see not even 50% of drivers backing into spaces.

Parking spaces (and the driving aisles) in a lot of buildings and parking lots are quite narrow here. People back into these spaces probably because it's safer (and easier) when exiting the space.

However, that does not discount the fact that the people who do not know how to back into a space quickly are very irritating. I have noticed this particular lack of driving skill in all types - tourists and mainland transplants also, so it's not just "local" people doing it.

I didn't comment yesterday. But when I got back from lunch, I checked Scuba board, was the first to read the OP's post, and started laughing.

I had just anticipated backing into my parking space! There were no other cars around and I wouldn't have blocked anyone, but I decided against it.

I agree that it is easier and safer to leave a parking space if you are backed in. That being said, I think it is rude to hold up everyone else in order to do it. There are some larger vehicles that, as has been said, can back into a spot but not pull into a spot easily. These vehicles tend to take less time backing in that it would take them to pull in forward.

As long as we are discussing Hawaii driving, though, I object to those who are trying to be courteous (they get points for that, but demerits for brains) and hold up traffic to let someone out.

What gets me, though, is that drivers here don't wait behind a bicyclist or someone pulling out or into a parallel parking place if there is oncoming traffic. They don't even slow down. They just pull into your lane and expect you to pull to the right to let them in. On Diamond Head Road (I notice it there), they frequently pull slightly into the oncoming lane while their lane curves to their left, even if there is no blockage in their lane. One of my purposes for being on earth is to re-train these drivers.

I agree that backing into the space and pulling out is safer for traditional parking lots with perpendicular spaces. But many parking lots have angled spaces and one way aisles. Maybe the concept hasn't made it's way to Hawaii yet. To back into spaces at those lots would require either going against the intended flow of traffic or making a 120-140 degree turn backing in and pulling out.

Safer for who/what? I have watched imbeciles back right into other people's cars!

Personally, I suspect it is some sort of local "I'm cool" stunt. Thanks for playing though, you don't live here either.

I lived there for 10 years. Does that qualify me to comment? Although 5 of those years were on Kauai. anyway, I worked for a company a couple years ago that instituted the ISO, International Standards of Operation, and indeed, they do advocate backing into your parking place so if there is a need (fire, or whatever) need to exit more quickly, it is faster. As Walter stated, it is safer.

Back
Top Bottom