Stupid mouse ate a hole in my dive bag and BC!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is about pest control and I don't see a scuba-related question, either. It belongs into the "Whine and Cheeze" section of ScubaBoard.
Damned right it does! Where are the mods while this travesty unfolds! Get this into Whine and Cheese before it's too late! Good call, pteranodon--kudos to you.

Hmmmmm with a mouse swimming around like that spear fishing may be in call. If he gets near the check book that mouse will surely chew a whole in the bottom of the account!

I'd suggest steel wool around the heater pipes or any holes like that. They will chew through foam or anything easy. They don't like steel wool. Recently had a door frame with rot near the ground that they chewed through. Filled the hole with steel wool and they left that part alone - chewed a new hole through the wood next to it instead.

I had a mouse chew a hole in my inflator hose once.

Don't get a cat. If they do catch the mouse they usually like to bring it to you as a present. Usually still alive and while your sleeping. :(

Put the poison bait all over the place. It works. And never take it up. Soon as a new family gets in you want them dead. Get rid of all the food in the house and eat out for a month. They'll get so hungry they chow down on the bait and problem gone.

careful of using decon. we used it in the office at work and they died in the cellings and walls took months to get the smell out.

speaking of cats - guy's looking over the fence and little Johnnie is digging a pretty good size hole - guy goes "whatcha doin?". Little Johnny never looks up, keeps digging and says, "burying my pet gold-fish." Neighbor says, "that's a mighty big hole for a little goldfish.". Little Johnnie says, "yep, but he's inside your cat."

sorry - but i figured this thread was so far gone...what's a little cat humor....

Well, I spent ALL DAY saturday "foaming" the upstairs. I took all the baseboard heater covers off and shot an amazing amount of foam into all the pipe holes in the dining room, living room, two bedrooms, bathroom and closet. The idea was that they may chew, but I would put so much in there that they would give up before busting through. I also foamed up all the holes in the kitchen - places where they could go and hide, get between cabinets and so forth. I had to make some panels and screw them on in certain places, to reduce the hole size to something I could foam. I also foamed the holes in the walls where the water tube for the fridge enters and exits. I can't believe it took all damned day.

Sunday, I spent ALL DAY on just ONE ROOM!! I took the baseboard heaters off and discovered that besides the pipe holes, there were just huge gaps in the drywall. It was like a mouse super highway. So, I had to make some panels and bolt those on, and replace the baseboard heaters. It took all damned day. I didn't get to the other room or the bathroom - that will have to be this coming weekend.

The good news is that so far, we have seen no mice upstairs. We did get one mouse downtairs (where I have not finished foaming yet), but he got himself into a trash can and couldn't get out. I heard him russling around in there - investigated, and then mr. mouse went scuba diving in the toilet, sans equipment or training. I have not seen him since.

Also, as noted before, all of my dive gear is now in plastic containers for protection (except wetsuits, which are hanging in closet).

So far, so good. I really don't think the mice are going to go outside (they'll freeze if they do). So, I expect them to die in the walls and smell for a while, but that's better than having them running all over the place.

sorry - but i figured this thread was so far gone...what's a little cat humor....
Yeah, the bottom of a hole filled with dirt is a real good place for cats if you ask me. Also a good place for my neighbor's yappy little rat dogs too. Hmm.......

Now, I'm going to set some rat traps for the squirrels that live in my attic. Bastards.

Cheers!
nd

DAM Dude, you need a snake...they'll take care of every problem you've got - cats, rats, squirrels, even burglars....'bout a 4 ft python should do it - either that or just freakin' move...

I have three cats. No mice problem at my house. They are all males. Only one of them will bring me a present, but he gives a wild meow call to me to alert me that he is coming. Since I have taken a few of their captures away from them they rarely bring me stuff. Horace was in the middle of the road playing with a snake he caught and I took it away from him and chopped it up with a shovel. He was quite angry with me for taking his toy/dinner.

I have never had a problem in the house and hope to keep it that way. Perhaps the mice know the boys are on patrol!

Not all cats are bad. Mine like water and I had more cash I might try to turn them into little divers like that guy on youtube did. I often find one of them swiming in the creek of his own free will.

Good luck with the mice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom