replacement mouthpieces for USD plastic second stage--need special type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Question for you: I was perusing the accessories at Leisure Pro and noticed that they had the kind of generic black and clear silicone mouthpieces, as well as the SeaCure one. Now, the SeaCure product description mentions that they have three different styles to fit different types of reg orifices; one of them is for US Divers plastic seconds, which they imply is a unique design that won't work with mouthpieces for the more common reg orifice designs. (Am I making any sense here?)

I'm getting to my point now. My second is from a an old Pro Diver reg, which I've been told is basically identical with the usual Conshelf second. It has a Comfo-bite mouthpiece on it, which still seems fine although it's kind of old. I might go with a SeaCure sometime, but what if I just want to replace the Comfo-bite with a basic, generic silicone mouthpiece? Do USD regs in fact need special, USD-specific mouthpieces? I do hope this isn't a dumb question.

cheers

Billy S.

Hello Moogyboy,

Not a dumb question at all. I wish I had thought to ask this prior to wasting money on several mouthpieces I bought on eBay. It turned out they were the wrong orifice size. Too large in fact and would not fit my trusty metal Balanced Adjustable SP second stages. I am not familiar with the plastic USD regulator sizes nor the Pro Diver knock off, but this is one of the cases where you may want to actually call LP or Phil Ellis and get a "for sure" before ordering.

Below, I will paste the info from the Seacure site and perhaps others may be able to chime in help.

couv

From their site: SeaCURE Mouthpiece Regulator Compatibility

[SIZE=+1]If not sure of the correct size, simply measure the retention lip on the air orifice of the regulator. Or, if possible, try both SeaCure I and SeaCure II on the unit in question to see which fits. Almost all regulators fall into two general sizes with some in each group being slightly larger or smaller than the average.

Standard Lip – (1-1/4” x ¾&#8221:wink: takes a SeaCure I
Oversize Lip – (1-7/16 x 7/8&#8221:wink: takes a SeaCure II[/SIZE]

Just to clarify, btw, the Pro Diver was in fact a US Divers model, albeit a fairly short-lived one; I had read somewhere on SB that the Pro Diver and Conshelf seconds were one and the same save for the label. I have my PD second mated to an SE2 first stage.

cheers

Billy S.

Couv,
I'm looking to replace the mouth pieces on two R109's.
It looks like the Seacure 1 is the correct one. Do you prefer the original or the HI Flow?

Jason

Hi Infidelxx (I don't know if I like saying that :) )

I have not tried the hi-flow, but I just looked at their site and I like the idea of the plug that fits into the orifice while storing.

c

The original type 1 seacure that has a yellow plastic collar will not fit on the 109. The newer model that has no collar does fit. For a while they were calling that the "sport" model" and/or "high flow" model, I'm not sure which is more current. The important distinction is that the older ones had this yellow rigid collar inserted into the mouthpiece mounting ring. That collar is shaped to fit current SP plastic regs and will not fit the more oval shaped mouthpiece flange on the 109. The newer seacure type 1 does fit, although if you install it on a plastic SP reg, then try to take it off and transfer it to the 109, it's too loose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom