First Time Equipment Recommendations for Woman...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would recommend you first borrow equipment and learn which you like and which not, than purchase piece by piece...read look, wait for a good offer, check ebay.
sometimes the new model comes which is the same as the old model in different color and a shop has too much stock of the old and kicks it out at a very low price.....
take your time....
Or if you really want to get it quick....buy everything at the same shop at once and max out the discount (deal with a couple of online shops at the same time and take the cheapest).

One option you could try, if it's available, is to see if your LDS is selling any of its rental/class gear. It's likely to be heavily used--your ex-rental BCD may be brown instead of black from all the chlorine--but also well-maintained, and it will be much cheaper than new. I bought my first set of gear this way when my LDS was having his annual spring cleaning sale, and it provided me several years of fun. I still use my battered old ex-rental AL90 tank, and my ex-rental Dacor Viper Tec reg is still in my dive bag as a backup.

cheers

Billy S.

Hi,

I posted a similar question about regs a while back and ended up buying a MK17 G250V Scubapro reg, but many more were suggested. I decided to stick with Scubapro or Aqualung because of accessibility to repair shops at remote international dive sites. Also decided on a Bella SP BCD because of great reviews & I received a great discount by buying a package deal at my LDS.

Just purchased the gear and waiting for it to arrive at my LDS so have no experience with it yet. Excited to try it out.

Before buying cheaper gear online, make sure to search SB for "Leisurepro" and "scubatoys" to see what the opinions are - there are many. I read a lot then decided NOT to buy my reg online.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/247519-buying-1st-regulator-so-many-choices-advice-links-non-bias-consumer-reviews.html

Good luck & have fun in your class!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom