Should people buy used regulators off ebay?

Should most people buy used regulators off ebay?

• Yes, it is a great place for deals for everyone

Votes: 65 50.4%
  • Yes, it is a great way for me to sell my broken unfixable junk

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • No, only people that really know their regulators should

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • No, everyone should support their LDS buying only new gear

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 0.02 cents worth: I think you do need to do your research beforehand, but if you know what you're looking for--and more important what you're not looking for--eBay's a great way to go. As far as I'm concerned, if a reg is a good model from a good brand, save your money and buy it used, especially if, like me, you don't have craploads of money to blow but you still want to hit the water. Even with requisite just-to-be-safe servicing, it'll probably still end up less than a comparable new model.

I put together my current reg from components (all by US Divers) bought on eBay for very cheap--an SE2 first stage, a Pro Diver second, and a yellow generic USD octo. I used it last couple of dives and it outperformed my old Dacor Viper Tec, and from what I've read that whole USD Conshelf family of regs is as bulletproof and universally serviceable as they get. I have research--and Scubaboard in particular--to thank!

Otoh, eBay still appears to be flooded with old, obsolete, unsupported Dacor regs selling for less than a dinner for two at KFC. Ditto for ancient "vintage" regs and no-name possible-junk. Unsuspecting newbies looking for a "deal" are usually going to get a bad one.

cheers

Billy S.

So for those of you that have bought regulators (or other scuba equipment) through ebay or something similar, where do you take them to get checked out if you aren't qualified to do it yourself? I'm wondering if the local dive shop isn't going to refuse to service/check it if it wasn't bought there, or otherwise under warranty.

I took my US Divers eBay-Special to one of my local LDS's back in Columbus for servicing, and not only did they service it, they also gave me a break on the price because they claimed it was still under warranty or something! I think I even meekly protested, being insufferably honest, but they insisted, "naah, it's okay". Last I heard, this rather large LDS had gone out of business, or shifted completely over to their diving compressor business, or something.

I think it depends on the LDS whether they'll service it or not. Just like people in general, some are a$$holes, some aren't.

cheers

Billy S.

I want to introduce diving to my wife and children.

I am not a rich man. If it doesn't compromise safety I am going to save money any way I can.

I just bought a SB R109 and 108 off of e-bay to make myself a new rig with. I will probably use the 108 as an Octo.

I am going to get a SB G250 settup off of e-bay as well.

I am going to learn how to service my equipment myself. I really think it is the way to go.

---Mike

It's my money, I will buy from whom ever I choose, depending what it is. LDS don't have old collectables regulators.

I think people should not bid on regulators from eBay. They're driving the prices up.:D

They should buy when I'm selling and refrain from buying when I'm bidding. From this, one might suppose I am being selfish, but actually I'm being altruistic. You see, I KNOW the stuff I sell it top notch. So keep that in mind when you visit eBay.

Just trying to help.

couv

Back
Top Bottom