A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more from me.
Having read the posts of Lee and Oceancrest above it is easy to see why these guys havent actually DONE the careeer dive professional thing.
You have to have the attitude and some degree of luck for it to work out longtime, but so long as you buy yourself a return ticket t the outset and dont do anything stupid what can go wrong?! Yes by all means find out the cost of living and the pay blah blah blah but at the end of the day the people who make this work are the ones who actually buy that ticket and get on the plane! Lets face it, if you arent in the USA or Canada then you wont be living in a tent in some woods somewhere there, now will you?
I made my career out of my hobby and am having a ball, I also havent paid for dive in years or had a second job. I also have never worked back home as an instructor, cant afford to, cost of living is too high!
All IMHO....

Be careful my dear friend when making assumptions about others...not to toot my horn too loud...I am a DM and technical diver with cave and wreck certifications...I have even dived one of the most remote wreck sites in the world...Bikini Atoll...now closed to diving. I love my hobby... as you well know...different strokes for different folks to where and when people move and shape careers...whether out and about in different parts of the world or at home base.

Instead of following the PADI instructor routine and agenda, I decided to go the technical diving route...as you already know when you purchase your first dry suit...diving gets expensive...talk about cost of living. Sheesh.

I am happy that you are having a ball. I am also happy doing what I am doing. I gave up jacket style BCs and wearing a snorkel long ago.

Cheers.

I used my diving qualification, combined with my film degree, to secure a job as an underwater videographer / photographer in the Cayman Islands (Grand Cayman)! I work 6 days a week, spend most of the day on boats and in the water, filming or taking photos of tourists snorkelling or interacting with stingrays. My day finishes with some office duties including film editing and cd copying and burning! What a perfect day (if a little tiring, but I'm not complaining!)

This job, right here, right now, has made me happier than I have been for ages, and now I see why everything else was all worth it!

Hope to see some of you in Grand Cayman one day soon :) :)

Lisa

Congratulations, that is amazing. That is something i would love to do. I have even thought about it. I am very into film myself aswell. (no schoolng though) Instead of schooling, I opted to purchase myself a new Mac computer, a copy of finalcut studio, and a DVX 100B camera.

Im curious, what kind of projects do you do? Just stuff for the tourists? A link to one of your projects would be awesome to watch.

Once again congratulations on the job, and the happiness. And I apologize for kinda hi-jacking your thread. Just really liked the thread and the people who posted on it, thought I would be an appropriate place for my question.

Hello Sirenita>
my name is patricio Barona live in Tampa Florida, i would like you to contact me if you are interested in teach scuba dive in Tampa, we have very nice places, we want to have our own water sport rental center, and teach scuba dive too, i am a dive-master but for ending of february will be Padi instructor, maybe we can work and do something
Please contact me at my persona email Patriciobm5@yahoo.com

thank you

In more realistic terms...I would have to agree with another contributor who said something along the lines that having no money makes things miserable...look before you leap...and have a plan before you go. Do not end up being dependent on the local situation or a local person...there are plenty of beach bums who have parked themselves on a Thai bar stool waiting for an airline ticket or check from a family member back home.

As Lou Reed sang "You're going to reap just what you sow"......
The ones who fancy a year partying in the sun are normally the ones "who have parked themselves on a Thai bar stool waiting for an airline ticket or check from a family member back home". Some people hit the tropics, work hard as an instructor, have plenty of money, eat out every meal (no washing up :D), and generally have a great standard of living. Walk around any city in the world and you'll find your pennyless bums. It's about attitude and application........

I have now been living on Phi Phi island in Thailand for the past 6 months. You can earn good money even for a western salary (no tax!) some weeks and then other weeks you dont earn so much. However that has all been low season! High season starts in the next month so it will be a different story. Lots more courses, lots more tourists = lots more money.

However that being said I have no intentions of retiring on a dive instructor salary. It is however an excellent way to see parts of the world while you are young!

Just to throw in my 2 cents,,,I am soon to be a retired person,and a retirement check doesnt increase and i really dont want to retire just to go back to work,but I am ready to leave Memphis and willing to work,just some place else,Hope to make it to instructor level just to supplement my retirement income,and I hope it works out,but if not,I'm sure I will have fun along the way and spend my golden years in a better place.I say,go for it,give it a try,may be the best thing you ever do,at least have fun trying,,Good Luck

Not in greece. Unless you have a greek captain and several thousand pages of paperwork and coastguard licences.

This is very true. You would have to do the same in the States. We do want people qualified to run charters or do dives. However, you will be filling out paperwork wherever you go. It is a part of life.

Typical greek wages for a DM are €600 a month, an instructor €800. Typically you will be expected to work from 9am - 9pm, 7 days a week from May to October. If you're VERY VERY lucky you may get 1 day off during that time but don't bank on it.

I have now built my business up to five boats, I live in Samos during the nice season. From my first boat, I set my schedule. You can set your own schedule since it is your boat. I dived with my guests during sunset. I do the same now with five boats.

If you're extremely lucky in Greece diving you might break even although that is uncommon.

It may be uncommon, I might be extremely lucky. It could be just good business practices though. If you set your goals and follow through you should have no problem in any country you go to, well, free country that is.

Whatever you do Casey, don't let people tell you that you can't do something. And don't be afraid to work hard for what you want to do. It it your life, not theirs.

Samos, Greece:wink:

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I have decided I will be giving it a try, and as many have said the worse than can happen is that I will have a great experience. As for now im just gonna work on saving money for a few more months at about 16 thousand right now, I'd like to have 20 thousand when I leave. Considering most the programs I have looked up cost about 10, and then i will have 10 in the bank to support my ventures. Now i just need to figure out where I am going to commit too. A lot of people say don't commit but the way I am looking at it right now is this. If i sign up for a program then i will be in a program where I will meet up with A lot of people sharing the same interests as myself. And i like that idea alot better than just flying to Thailand with just some money and not much of a clue of what I am doing.

Any input on good programs to choose I would love to hear, so far the top of my list is the Mermaids just as Lisa had chosen herself.

Thanks to all, Casey.

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I have decided I will be giving it a try, and as many have said the worse than can happen is that I will have a great experience. As for now im just gonna work on saving money for a few more months at about 16 thousand right now, I'd like to have 20 thousand when I leave. Considering most the programs I have looked up cost about 10, and then i will have 10 in the bank to support my ventures. Now i just need to figure out where I am going to commit too. A lot of people say don't commit but the way I am looking at it right now is this. If i sign up for a program then i will be in a program where I will meet up with A lot of people sharing the same interests as myself. And i like that idea alot better than just flying to Thailand with just some money and not much of a clue of what I am doing.

Any input on good programs to choose I would love to hear, so far the top of my list is the Mermaids just as Lisa had chosen herself.

Thanks to all, Casey.

I think you have got it right. Good saving and good planning make for an excellent adventure. If you can get your instructor rating prior to leaving...that might suit things better.

While following this thread...I am all for adventure and meeting new people...but many fellow divers wander out without a plan and with minimal savings...working as tank apes for snotty tourists...a fast and easy way of burning out.

Just my O2.

Hey Casey!
I too saved up about 20k before leaving home. I think the best piece of advice I can give you, especially if heading into Thailand is not to book into courses in advance. Dive shops love having someone walk in who wants to go all the way to instructor, and you will be able to negotiate a good deal.
Course directors love booking people in advance, because then they are locked in and can't negotiate. Go and check out the place you are wanting to work and decide when you get there who you want to do your training with.
Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom