Savannah River / Augusta, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will there be anyone there that can help us out with the transportation? Me and my dive bud will be coming from Dublin Ga. I hate to bring two cars.

That will not be a problem if you are diving with us at 9. We will have enough vehicles to work out the transportation. We are meeting at the old marina which is about 1/2 mile down (south) riverfront drive where it intersects with Reynolds st. and East Boundary, just before the intersection with Prep Phillips dr. Driving down Riverfront Dr. on the left beyond the boat docks you will see a large building, then the boat ramp, and then a large dirt parking area with a covered picnic area. We will meet at the picnic area.

We had 6-8' in the river today. Less than we usually expect. However, we had lots of fish life and a nice group of 7 divers. We are diving the lake at 1pm Sunday (SC side of the dam). Not sure what the vis will be (lake "turns" this time of year, but we usually dive wherever the better vis is.

Last edited:
I dove with the diveprof today. Great guy to dive with, I had no clue about my location and like magic he went everywere he said we would. There are so many things to see on the river I need about 5 tanks and a lot of time. Thank you for the help.

We left the river and went to the lake. Vis was cloudy. Lots of stuff in the water. There was a group of about 10 people on the plane so vis was low. at the boat vis was about like the river. At about 50' someone turned out the lights. Made it to the wall and enjoyed the dive. 6-10' vis but we needed a light to explore the cracks. The bottom of the wall was at about 71'. When we went to get out we were about 35 yards off the rocks. The steep sand/mud bank is only about 2' from the water edge. The place we tried to get out at was hard to do. We basicly climbed a mud bank with scuba gear on. It might be better near the rocks. It was hard to get out where we did.

Over all agreat day in the water.

Andy I am glad we went by the shop. Ended up spending about $65. I forgot the dive flag so I broke down and got the flag and a reel. (so much for a cheap trip but atleast I have one now.)

Enjoyed diving with you today. Come join us anytime. There are lots of good river dives and you are right that you can't do it all in one day. It is getting harder to make the exit due to the dropoff. We need more water in our pond.:shakehead: Yeah, you need a flag as the Corps will write you a ticket. Just remember when trying to explain the $$$ spent to your wife to remind her that scuba gear is life support equipment and you know that she wouldn't want you to skimp on life support equipment:D

Sounds like you guys had a great set of dives this weekend. I am still up studying (note the time of the post) :shocked2:

My knee should be cleared for diving by Thanks Giving, a little later than I would have liked, but I do not have the time for rehabilitation as I would like.

Safe diving!
:monkeydance:

Sounds like you guys had a great set of dives this weekend. I am still up studying (note the time of the post) :shocked2:

My knee should be cleared for diving by Thanks Giving, a little later than I would have liked, but I do not have the time for rehabilitation as I would like.

Safe diving!
:monkeydance:

Up that late and studing is involved? Geez, your priorities are all screwed up :confused: Seriously, from what I hear, the first two years are the worst. Make it through them with your sanity intact and life becomes easier.

What do you mean "do not have time for rehabilitation"? Diving is rehabilitation and therapy all rolled up into one :D Hope you are able to join us soon. Your gills will dry out if you don't.

Three of us made two dives today at E.Dam. The lake is definitely turning. Below 60' vis is less than 2-3' (no vis on the walls). Along to top of the 80'wall (now @ about 55') the vis is 8'. The 40' ledge (currently15-25') that has had poor vis for weeks now has 8' vis. There was 10' vis on the plane and ski boat. Went to 95' on dive 1 to see if the vis cleared, but it did not (I do this every year when the lake turns and the result is the same - why do I do this:shakehead:). Anyway, we modified our dive plan to hit where the vis was good (nice bass and crappie on the plane). Vis was actually 15'+ along the dam rocks beyond the ski boat in the 10-15' depth range. Still an enjoyable day of diving. Reviewing my records, the "turning" usually last 2-3 weeks (believe it was starting last weekend). Vis afterwards is usually good.

Where did you enter the water? I need to find a spot that is not a mud bank. After the water turns what is the vis like?

Back
Top Bottom