Mares Icon.. What say you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinoiryder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i am planning to get this, any one use this? new to diving and any information is deeply appreciated.

Thank you,
Pinoi

It is a good BC from a good company but for back inflates I have to say that for slightly less money I would recomend that you consider a Zeagle Stilleto or for the same price the Zeagle Concept 2. However, if you can get a good deal or have set you heart on buying from an LDS that does not sell Zeagle gear the Icon will suit your needs for any recreational single tank diving.

As a travel BC Scuba diving Mag rates it highly that is what I am interested in. Any comments? The problem with Zeagle is dealers here in Canada I can only find on listed on their web site in Calgary.

If you're looking for Zeagle I'd say just call shops in your area. There are a couple shops in the Toronto area that carry Zeagle but aren't listed on the website...

If you're looking for Zeagle I'd say just call shops in your area. There are a couple shops in the Toronto area that carry Zeagle but aren't listed on the website...

I have check LDS and only few carries zeagle products.. i have seen a couple websites but the price is over my budget.

I am also looking at this..

Mares Pegasus BC with MRS Plus Weight System
* MRS (Mechanical Release System) Plus Weight Integration - 18 lb capacity in sizes XSmall & Small , 26 lb capacity in sizes Medium through XLarge
* Sternum strap
* 3 heavy duty D-rings
* Lightweight design, ideal BC for traveling
* Resistant to Constant wear and tear
* 1 zippered pocket rolled-up and secured with Velcro when not in use
* BC Hose retainer to hold your gauges and octo in place
* Retraction bands included for reduced drag
* Single tank band included
* Customize the length of the shoulder straps to allow for greater flexibility in fitting
* Removable double crotch strap

any using this?

Thank you,
Pinoi

Hi Pinoi,

I used to dive a Mares Pegasus BC, great simple BC, back inflated, light, and it comes with a crotch strap which is useful.
The roll up pocket is also useful and does not add to clutter unlike some other BCs with huge pockets.
The only reason i've changed and sold that BC is because I've moved to a BP/W set up.
I would suggest you look into a BP/w set up as from my experience, they are even cheaper than a standard back inflated BC.
Have a look around, but the Pegasus is a great BC anyways if you do decide to get it.

Hope this helps.

I used my Icon on a week long trip to Roatan this spring and have to say I really enjoyed the superior comfort and easy trim over my much older jacket style. Packing was a cinch. Having only the one pocket really makes you think about how much extra stuff you carry with you. No problems on the surface with pitching forward and maintaining a fairly neutral buoyancy was quite easy throughout the dive. Best upgrade I've made in a long time. I think I will be buying my partner the female version for xmas.

I used my Icon on a week long trip to Roatan this spring and have to say I really enjoyed the superior comfort and easy trim over my much older jacket style. Packing was a cinch. Having only the one pocket really makes you think about how much extra stuff you carry with you. No problems on the surface with pitching forward and maintaining a fairly neutral buoyancy was quite easy throughout the dive. Best upgrade I've made in a long time. I think I will be buying my partner the female version for xmas.

Thanks for the info, Scuba Guy. My husband is also looking at the Icon. He tried it on and really liked how it fit him.

Do make sure your partner tries the female version (Aliikai) on before you buy it for her if she hasn't already. I tried this model on a week ago, but found that the sternum strap was way too high for me and even after adjusting it, it was too close to my neck. Interesting, because I haven't had the problem with a unisex Mares bc I used previously. Certainly this isn't a problem for everyone, but fit is sooo personal.

I would recommend a Mares Aliikai (Wmn's version of the Icon).

Went to a few dive stores and looked, looked, tried on, looked, and tried on some more. Ended up buying the Aliikai because not only is it pretty minimal so that there isn't a lot of "stuff" everywhere, but also because it is a great travel BC. It (along with the Icon) roll up pretty small. Pack it compared to my buddy's Seaquest Black Diamond which doesn't fold up and it is about 1/3 of the size.

It also has a great neoprene collar. I've only been diving without a wetsuit 2x (I live in CA and we have COLD water) but the Mares has a great neoprene collar that is very comfortable and will help me shed the wetsuit in tropical diving.

And, in so far as women's cuts, sure. It has a women's cut. I don't find the men's/unisex jacket rental-type BCs uncomfortable, so I don't have a definite opinion on that.

My buddy keeps looking at my rolled up Aiikai in our suitcase and is getting jealous. Maybe he'll get the Icon from santa.

I have tried Mares Icon and Pegasus, then i tried Zeagle Birgade and i have decide to go with the Zeagle Brigade..but you can never have too many BC.. maybe i'll get it for my birthday... thank you for all the input and advise

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom