BVI dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We will be in the bvi's in Jan 09. Planning to dive the Indians and the Rhone. Need suggestions for two or three more dives. Thanks

Try these.

1. Thumb Rock - about 55-60', nice site where bottom rounds a point and slopes down gradually away from island, lots of gullies running from the shallows to deeper water, saw a reef shark, octopus, pair of huge lizardfish, tarpon, barracuda, assorted other critters

2. Vanishing Rock - only 45' but very nice dive, beautiful corals, a couple of swim throughs, two huge turtles tucked up under an overhang, very nice relaxing dive

Blonde Rock is also very nice but can be tough to dive due to currents

Hope you have an excellent trip.

I second Thumb Rock, that was an interesting dive. Just traversing up the side of the rock itself was interesting. We also found sharks a short distance away under an overhang.

Chimney off Great Dog was good also. Watch for turtles as you go through the valley (not sure what the ocean term is) on the approach to it. All my buddies blew over it and scared two up - right into my lens.

Another good one is Seal Dog Rock. I don't even know how to tell you to get there, but if you're diving with DiveBVI, they do. It's a small pinnacle with the Atlantic on one side and the Caribbean on the other. We went out there in the afternoon hoping to see Seals but instead on one side we saw a bunch of larger Atlantic fish - the kind you eat. Circling around the pinnacle we swam into thousands of baitfish. As I'd swing around or move my camera, they'd flow around me. After a couple minutes a barracuda and a Smook(sp) both came into the cloud and started hitting the baitfish just out of my reach.

The Rhone and The Indians are both excellent dives.

Personally, my two favourite dives in BVI are Ginger Steps (off Ginger Island) and Carrot Shoal (between Norman and Peter Islands). Neither of them gets dived very often.

If you do the Indians, most of the dive companies will try to do the second dive of the day on Pelican Island, just because they are so close.

Thumb Rock is a really nice dive, although to get to it you would have to drive past "Wreck Alley", and who can resist diving three custom sunk wrecks?

Two other really good dives are the Wreck of the Chikuzen and Santa Monica Rocks, but it is really hard to do either in the winter time, because they are quite far out and it gets very rough.

Additional: Blonde Rock is an excellent dive, but hard to do during winter because of the waves and current. I am not such a fan of Vanishing Rock, but everyone has their own point of view I guess.

Last edited:
The Chikuzen was my favorite dive of our trip. You can see my report of our dives HERE, and that might give you some more ideas.

Some of my favorites are Ginger Steps, POS (off of Cockroach Island in the Dogs) and Wall to Wall. As with any dive site, conditions may vary but these 3 sites have proven to be very reliable producers.

Jeff

Make sure you do both a night dive and a daylight dive on the Rhone. My favorite thing about diving in the BVI was the civilized schedule. We dove with UBS and would leave at 9am do a morning dive then Lunch and a shore interval at a beach bar followed by a dive after lunch getting back to the dock by 3pm. #1 activity in the BVI's seem to be bar hopping in sailboats. Not a bad life. :)

Dove BVI in July 2008, favorite site's included:

- Dog Island's The Ledge's (Stingray Cleaning station), Chimney's, Seal Dog
- The Rhone (if you can review the story of the Rhone and how she sank, and have a good guide it added a lot to the expereince)
- Indians

Overall my wife and I were very impressed with the diving in BVI, with Dive BVI our dive operator, and plan to return in 2009.

Back
Top Bottom