Apeks 1/2 vs 3/8 for primary...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711

Reaction score
I just got my new Apeks ATX50 with the ATX50 octo today! :D :D :D

Here's my question - or two...

I have my new primary on the standard long hose. The backup is on the funny Apeks port, because it's the standard hose that comes with the setup. Rather than get an adaptor, I just ran a 3/8" long hose off a LP port and made that my primary. What USED to be the primary is now my backup, on the 1/2 " hose, and slightly 'detuned'.

I'm assuming that should be OK??? Or would I be better to go get the adaptor?

Secondly - yuck, new rubber tastes gross! I'm going to smear some minty toothpaste on the mouthpieces, real light. I figure that will take some of the gross off. Any better suggestions? :)

On my single tank setup (which is what I think you have), I bought a port size reducer. I now use standard hose sizes, as the 1/2 inch hose is a bastard size. This makes it much easier to find a replacement should you need one near a dive site.

One of these days Apeks is going to wake up and change that stupid port.

I have an Apeks first and second stage and was wondering if I can use the first stage upside down and then have two normal size hoses for breathing thru?

Other wise I might try using an adaptor to downsize the 1/2 port.

Has anyone had any issues with an adaptor? I know it's adding another failure point but has anyone actually had a problem doing it?

Makes me wonder what Apeks is so highly regarded in the DIR circles, .. maybe it's older Apeks they like without this 1/2 port?

blackice once bubbled...
Makes me wonder what Apeks is so highly regarded in the DIR circles, .. maybe it's older Apeks they like without this 1/2 port?
Ca-ching! The older design DS4s have all 3/8" ports.

The 1/2" port isn't an issue. Just get a 1/2" hose, or an adapter, or plug it. If you're worried that it's going to ruin your dive vacation, take a spare 1/2" hose.

newbie-in-fl once bubbled...
did Apeks change to 1/2 from the 3/8?

.....never mind!

Secondly - yuck, new rubber tastes gross! I'm going to smear some minty toothpaste on the mouthpieces, real light. I figure that will take some of the gross off. Any better suggestions? :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Congrats on your purchase. I'm still shopping and wish I could make such a proud claim on scuba board. =-)

I've also noticed a strong rubber taste while testing the ATX (and the other 2nd stages). I suggest washing the mouthpiece with toothpaste and soaking it in a really strong minty mouthwash like Listerine for a while before your first dive. Brushing your teeth beforehand and using more Listerine just before the dive might also be an option since it will leave your mouth with that fresh Listerine feeling that overpowers everything else.

Alternatively if you don’t have the possibility to brush your teeth or use Listerine and like garlic, why not have some garlic bread or equivalent and let the garlic taste overpower everything.
:wink:

Smile

Sylvie

Add a seacure #2 mouth piece to the Apeks reg. It does two things. It gets rid of the rubber taste and gets rid of the sore jaw from bitting down too hard.
The Apeks are an exellent reg and easy to service.
Apeks currently holds the depth record with the TX100.
TTFN

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Ca-ching! The older design DS4s have all 3/8" ports.

The 1/2" port isn't an issue. Just get a 1/2" hose, or an adapter, or plug it. If you're worried that it's going to ruin your dive vacation, take a spare 1/2" hose.
Think I'll take a spare hose with me, and some basic tools so I can change if needed.

It seems that the 1/2 port causes way more problems than it might have been intending to solve.

Back
Top Bottom